Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Have you ever seen a

Real Name
    Paul

Have you ever seen a

Virginia Rail baby? It is a trick to just see the adult Rail, much less get a shot. I managed that a few weeks ago and felt fairly proud. I mentioned the idea that I would like to get a shot of a Rail baby to other bird photogs and the only response I ever got is.....good luck!

Well good luck I had and while not technically the perfect shot......I got it!

Have you ever seen a

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Have you ever seen a

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Virginia Rail baby? It is a trick to just see the adult Rail, much less get a shot. I managed that a few weeks ago and felt fairly proud. I mentioned the idea that I would like to get a shot of a Rail baby to other bird photogs and the only response I ever got is.....good luck!

Well good luck I had and while not technically the perfect shot......I got it!

Have you ever seen a

And A fine image at that................well done paul.

Real Name
    Paul

Thank you Steve, I am fairly stoked!

Real Name
    james

wow I am stoked too , I may never see another!

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks James, I can't say I am sure I will either.

Real Name
    Bobo

I share James sentiment, probably my first and last too. I am glad for you.

http://www.phototrap.com/

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Congratulations, Paul. Having the skill and ability (with a sprinkle of luck) to be able to get what is effectively, a pretty rare shot, is something indeed to be very proud of. Well done.

Real Name
    Sharon

Wow....great stuff Paul!

Real Name
    Joe

Well done Paul. I am sure there is a story behind it, would you tell us how you got it?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I checked the web to see what I could find out about the Virginia Rail and apparently pictures of the black chicks are extremely rare. Well done Paul!

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks everyone, I am still a bit amped up over it.

Joe, Not much of a story really. I went to a spot that I frequent regularly.

After being there for a bit and seeing it was a pretty slow day I decided to go to another lake and see if I could get a view into a Herons nest. Before I left I made a quick stop to a spot down a trail through the Marsh to look for some small birds that hang out there.

I got to a spot I like and was watching the trees about 8' up. Out of the corner of my eye...I saw ground movement. I thought it wwas a mouse going threw the grass and bush.

I have wanted to catch this species as well so I got down real low to look through the brush. there was a small semi clear patch of mud on the other side of the thicket.
    As I looked for a clear spot to focuss threw, I heard the call of an adult rail. I knew them to be in this very spot but they had not been calling for the last two weeks.
    I was set up for the descent light outside the thick and re-set to the poor light under the grass and brush. I bumped the ISO to 1000 opened it up to 5.6 to get as much speed as possible and still only came up with 1/50sec. So I had to brace against a tree.

I again saw movement and saw that the Rails were running around. As I watched to see what I could, I saw two of those mice....oh crap....they are not mice at all! Two baby rails hiding behind the downed branches and grass.

I trained the lens on a spot they were useing to pass threw and waited. It took me about 30 minutes and a couple trys but I finally got the shot you see. Little guy came right into the foot wide clearing and stopped to call for mom. As soon as he heard my shutter he was gone.

I waited for a bit and saw mom run threw but never again saw the chicks.

Ok so a little more story than I thought, but you asked. lol

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    I trained the lens on a spot they were useing to pass threw and waited. It took me about 30 minutes and a couple trys but I finally got the shot you see. Little guy came right into the foot wide clearing and stopped to call for mom. As soon as he heard my shutter he was gone.
    I doubt that most of us would have had the patience to wait 30 minutes on the chance that the chick might reappear. The time spent scouting out their habitats, understanding their behavior, careful observation, and persistence has paid off handsomely!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    I doubt that most of us would have had the patience to wait 30 minutes on the chance that the chick might reappear.
    oh dear Frank, we'll never make a birder of you

and yet I bet you'd take that long to set up a landscape, or wait for the sun angle to be right in your scene

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    The time spent scouting out their habitats, understanding their behavior, careful observation, and persistence has paid off handsomely!
    Yes indeed.

Well done Paul.

Real Name
    Paul

Thank you Dave.