Thread: 4 x 8 = 24...

Real Name
    Bobo

4 x 8 = 24...

First outing with the new macro lens.

One thing became apparent almost immediately - due to the number of different bugs in just one bush I will be getting far far far less exercise then I would when taking bird shots. But on the other hand the body contortions one has to make for bugs means more of the lesser used muscles will get exercised.

An absolute macro newbie so any tips, tricks, pointers etc would be deeply appreciated.

On reviewing the shots it crossed my mind that these could easily have been taken with the zoom. Later on understood the merits of a macro lens a bit better. There was no way I could even see these guys from 4 feet.

All shots MF with IS on.

4 x 8 = 24...

4 x 8 = 24...

4 x 8 = 24...

4 x 8 = 24...

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: 4 x 8 = 24...

It won't be long and you'll be just a good with macros as you are with birds! I don't own a 'real' macro lens but I do play with extension tubes for macro shots and have found that unless the wind is blowing the web around, most spiders remain fairly still allowing for focus stacking techniques to be used.

If you are shooting really low, you can use a right-angle viewer for the eyepiece so that you can look down into the viewfinder instead of digging a hole to put your chin in when shooting!

Real Name
    Bill S

Bobo,

A nice macro start with the spiders... however, your math is a bit off.... ( 4 x 8 ) - 2 = 22... That first guy is missing a couple on his left side. Though some research has been done to show that spiders can easily lose a couple legs and still hunt for food just as effectively as those with their full compliment.

For the second shot, what do you think of cloning out the OOF grasses in the bottom left corner and then giving the frame a 90 degree rotation clockwise? Just a thought.

- Bill

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Frank, really appreciate the advice.

I have had tubes since day one and used a couple of times with the zoom but focusing was a reasl PITA. Now that I have finally ventured into manual focus am loving it.

A flip-out screen on the camera would be real handy but mine does not. An angular eye-piece as you have suggested is pretty cheap and will probably get one tomorrow.

Actually, I saw this http://ikancorp.com/productlisting.php?id=75 a while back and that would be really neat. This one is really pricey so will also check tomorrow for cheaper alternatives. There also might be LiveView remote control apps for the ipad or android tablets so maybe a better investment then a dedicated lcd panel.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Bill - thanks for the arithmetic correction.
    But the first guy still has 2 stubs or is that something else.

Thanks for the tip on #2, totally missed that oof bit. Will redo.

Edit - redo of #2. Did the rotation but not the orientation as there was too much empty space left at the top. Took a slightly different direction.

#2a

4 x 8 = 24...
    Last edited by Bobobird; 19th May 2012 at 12:24 PM.

Real Name
    randy

Welcome to the world of Macro. Now get out the checkbook; Next you'll need to get the focus rail, different flash brackets, Plamps, tripod without center column (so it can get really low), knee pads..............Sigh

Seriously though, you can get by without most of that rigamarole. I do recommend fashioning a plamp out of a 2' section of electrical wire, a battery clamp, and an alligator clamp. I find that my greatest nemesis is the wind; the slightest breeze will introduce a maddening amount of movement.

4 x 8 = 24...

You will need to use your tripod, I do wish that I had purchased a tripod without the center column, but am thinking about making a beanbag for those shots when I have to get down low.

For the greatest detail, I usually will shoot in live view and a 2 second lag to eliminate vibration from mirror slap.

Wouldn't 4X8-2=30? But then there do seem to be a lot of engineers on this site

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Randy.

(4x8)-2 = 22 is correct

Thanks for the clamp tip - will fashion something similar when I get home in a couple of days.

Over the year or so of my photography existence the collection of useful to useless stuff has just grown and grown.

My main tripod is a Manfrotto 055CXPro3 which should be fine. I also have a monopod and 2 small tripods so should be adequately covered for stability should it be needed.

Real Name
    randy

Sooooo......(2x8)-2 would therefore be 11? And therefore (1x8)-2 would be 5.5?

Real Name
    Bobo

Hehe.

Actually it is a play of the number of pics vs the actual number of spiders.

The equation should have been (4 pics x 8 legs each) - (8 duplicate legs + 2 missing legs) = 22 unique legs.

When deciding the title there was a news item on tv about economic growth figures. I recalled then a saying about statistics ie Lies, lies and more lies and from that cue came the title.

Real Name
    randy

aaaahhhhh...........NOW I get it. Uffda!!!!