Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Does this image work

Real Name
    glenn

Does this image work

Hi guys, I'm just curious if this image works.
    I was not trying to capture an amazing scene or anything, just a nice moment on a sunday morning.
    I didn't know the people in the shot, but they didn't notice me, so i thought i would catch them unaware.
    I love the idea of being invisible, I always think it makes for a better shot if the subjects don't know they are being photographed.
    And i also love how my dog jack, on the left is thinking about going over to play with the other dogs, he looks a bit left out of the attention.

Does this image work

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Does this image work

Glenn

The overwhelming urge I had with this was grab the bottom and pull it down a bit. What??

It mightn't work better, but if Jack was on the bottom horizontal 'third' line and if the feet of group of people & dogs were then just below the half-way line as opposed in stead of quite a bite above it, it would give a different (and I wondered if better) balance to the picture.

There nothing wrong with the foreground as far as I'm concerned, just that I feel the people are too near the top. I like the aspect ratio and would want to keep that.

One though for you to ponder, or dismiss.

In a word, yes! Something about it has some character...I like it. I agree with Donald that a foreground crop would lend a little better balance. But good eye...

Real Name
    glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Glenn

The overwhelming urge I had with this was grab the bottom and pull it down a bit. What??

It mightn't work better, but if Jack was on the bottom horizontal 'third' line and if the feet of group of people & dogs were then just below the half-way line as opposed in stead of quite a bite above it, it would give a different (and I wondered if better) balance to the picture.

There nothing wrong with the foreground as far as I'm concerned, just that I feel the people are too near the top. I like the aspect ratio and would want to keep that.

One though for you to ponder, or dismiss.
    Thankyou donald . Once again you have offered me some great advice, and for that I'm grateful.
    Now could I be really cheeky and ask you to take the original and come back with what you have in your mind.
    I only ask, because I really liked what you did with the swan image.
    If you are too busy, which i imagine you are, then it is fine, but i would love to see what you would do with the original.

Does this image work

Real Name
    glenn

Quote Originally Posted by ofer4 View Post
    In a word, yes! Something about it has some character...I like it. I agree with Donald that a foreground crop would lend a little better balance. But good eye...
    Thankyou ofer4, for your feedback I am still on a very long learning curve, but I am loving every single step.
    Also it would be really nice if you would be kind enough to fill in your profile details with your real name and location, it's always
    nice to know who you are talking to and put a place to the person.

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Nice shot Glenn; I'd crop out most of the foreground leading up to the subjects...it's an art, you'll have to play with it until it gets that balanced look...

Real Name
    Mark

Nice subject. Donald is right, The composition is strange. Needs 1/3 foregorund, 2/3 sky. Also try flippng the image horizontally.

Does this image work

Maybe??

Real Name
    glenn

I thought I would try, a different crop, on the strong advice of others.
    I have cropped some of theleft side out, and also lost some of the foreground, and given the men more headroom.
    I would love to get your views on the alterations.

Does this image work
    Last edited by stardelta; 20th May 2012 at 07:25 PM.

Real Name
    glenn

Mark thankyou, and yes i like your version also. I did the same thing with another shot of jack in the lake.

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by stardelta View Post
    I thought I would try, a different crop, on the strong advice of others.
    I have cropped some of theleft side out, and also lost some of the foreground, and given the men more headroom.
    I would love to get your views on the alterations.

Does this image work
    Looks good - I like how Jack anchors the shot - also a more intimate scene / I feel like I'm focusing just on the subjects now...

Real Name
    glenn

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRob View Post
    Looks good - I like how Jack anchors the shot - also a more intimate scene / I feel like I'm focusing just on the subjects now...
    Thanks robert I'm glad you like the cropped version. I listened to what you said, and it does make for a better image.
    In my very humble opinion.