Thread: Beautiful Swan

Real Name
    glenn

Beautiful Swan

Beautiful Swan

This beautiful swan got pretty close to the bankside, and then was gracious enough to let me get a shot.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Beautiful Swan

It is indeed a beautiful swan. And you have nailed the exposure very, very well, in my opinion.

But I have a question - Do you think we need that bit land showing at the bottom? Is it adding anything to the image?

I hope you don't mind (please say if you do and I'll remove it), but the best way of showing what I mean is by example.

This is a 7:5 crop. What do you think?

Beautiful Swan

Real Name
    glenn

Donald thankyou I'm glad you like it, and how could i ever mind your offers of help.
    You always have kind words to say and only ever,have our best interests at heart, so thankyou.
    Also I did exactly the same thing ( cropped out the bank ) then foolishly replaced it, and don't know why. maybe to give the viewer the sense of how close to the bank the swan was. But I like to think this is how i will learn, by making mistakes and having much needed help from, yourself and other members.

Real Name
    Paul

I think your first instinct was right on. I agree with Donald, beautiful Swan and great handling of the exposure but the land is a bit of an eye catcher.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

What a magnificent capture to see the feathers like this. I wonder if there is any room in the original to add more to the top of the picture, also I agree that the bottom could be removed. Wonderful nature shot.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by stardelta View Post
    Also I did exactly the same thing ( cropped out the bank ) then foolishly replaced it, ...
    Aahh, but the important thing is that you saw it in the first place. So, pat yourself on the back for the fact that you are seeing and making judgements as to what should and should not be an image. If you'd received my comments and thought - 'What is that idiot on about?', then you would, I think, be showing that you're not so far along the learning curve.

Now, it's about having confidence in your judgement ....... and that comes with experience.
    Last edited by Donald; 19th May 2012 at 07:35 AM.

Real Name
    glenn

Thakyou paul for your feedback, I need all the help I can get.

Real Name
    glenn

Quote Originally Posted by WJT View Post
    What a magnificent capture to see the feathers like this. I wonder if there is any room in the original to add more to the top of the picture, also I agree that the bottom could be removed. Wonderful nature shot.
    Thankyou wayne for your kind words.
    Yes there was plenty of headroom in the original, however I have tried to take on board, advice by people like donald, and other helpful members. Which is not to leave to much distraction in the final image. That said wayne here is the original, feel free to take it and play around. And please feel free to repost your result, it's good to get another persons perspective on things.
    Many thanks again, glenn.

Beautiful Swan

Real Name
    glenn

Quote Originally Posted by WJT View Post
    Thankyou wayne for your kind words.
    Yes there was plenty of headroom in the original, however I have tried to take on board, advice by people like donald, and other helpful members. Which is not to leave to much distraction in the final image. That said wayne here is the original, feel free to take it and play around. And please feel free to repost your result, it's good to get another persons perspective on things.
    Many thanks again, glenn.

Beautiful Swan

Real Name
    Paul

Glenn, you may find that a bit of a horizon straightening will help with you crop selection. It could use a counter clockwise tilt. This allows a little cleaner crop. I found a nice crop of at least 3 different dimensions, each with a slightly different feel.

Here is two to give an idea

Beautiful Swan

Beautiful Swan
    Last edited by jeeperman; 19th May 2012 at 08:51 AM.

Real Name
    glenn

Paul I really love your crops, I really like the 1st one, and I think they work a lot better than mine.
    You have given me some food for thought, again. thanks paul

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Thanks Glen, It was just because the swan was swimming into a tight corner on the original post so I thought it needed a bit more room. Here is my effort but its completely in the eye of the individual.
    Beautiful Swan

Real Name
    glenn

Hi wayne, you are welcome. I am always looking for ways to improve on my photography. I like your efforts, it gives the swan more room in the image.
    This is what i love about this site, you are the 3rd person to alter the original image and you have each achieved different, yet equally good alternatives.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by stardelta View Post
    Hi wayne, you are welcome. I am always looking for ways to improve on my photography. I like your efforts, it gives the swan more room in the image.
    This is what i love about this site, you are the 3rd person to alter the original image and you have each achieved different, yet equally good alternatives.
    Thanks Glen, I've just applied the rule of thirds. Glad you like it.