Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Say hello to Kylie

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Say hello to Kylie

Say hello to Kylie

Well, what did you expect - Some petite Australian songstress?

Canon 40D, EF 24-70 f2.8 L @ 52mm. ISO100. 1/125 @f11

Comments always welcomed. I liked the rope lying on the harbour wall. The gentle ripples on the water just made the whole thing interesting for me. Using NIK Silver Efex Pro 2, I put a control point on the water and took the 'structure' slider way down. I didn't want anything like the impact of a long exposure in smoothing out the water, but I wanted to take the 'hard edges' off the ripples and soften them.
    Last edited by Donald; 18th May 2012 at 08:17 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Say hello to Kylie

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Well, what did you expect - Some petite Australian songstress?
    Well yes I did actually - so I was a wee bit dis-appointed

I bet you have all her albums !!

I love the compostion in this image Donald. I would never have dreamt of doing something like this. And as usual, the image is technically very good.

You should be so lucky, lucky lucky lucky ....

Dave

Real Name
    Pat

Lovely image,the way that the rope exits from the left corner of the frame and returns to the bow of the boat.
    Kylie looks to me to be one of the Kingfisher range of vessels.
    Best Wishes Pat

Real Name
    Steve Ward

I'm no expert as you know Donald, but I really like this, I would have never thought of a straight diagonal line in a calm shot.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I liked the rope lying on the harbour wall. The gentle ripples on the water just made the whole thing interesting for me.
    I can see why, Donald. Given its size, sharpness, and prominence in the image, the rope is the first thing my eye goes to when I view the scene, then Kylie. A well-executed composition with the texture of the rocks playing off of the texture of the ripples. A fun image to explore!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 18th May 2012 at 01:54 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Donald,

That's not funny, I'm extreeeemly disappointed with you - you got the wrong Kylie, this is Kylie S and we all expected Kylie M. Although any Kylie with legs would have done

Well, I suppose it's a good picture, although I still haven't worked out what Kylie S does for a living and some of her 'adornments' look a little contrived rather than functional, but if I say any more I risk upsetting her.

Nice arrangement of rope and boat either side of the diagonal.

Real Name
    Sharon

Great shot and I like what you have done to the water or it would be fihjting with the wall for attention

Now...(and I want the absolute truth here! )....was the rope just naturally beautifully arranged or did you have a hand or foot in helping it reach it's aesthetic potential?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you all for your comments. At the point of capture, I wasn't totally convinced that it would work. But it's grown on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    ......... although I still haven't worked out what Kylie S does for a living
    Watch out for the next picture I post (Crail Harbour #2) - hopefully over the weekend. That will explain all.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    Now...(and I want the absolute truth here! )....was the rope just naturally beautifully arranged or did you have a hand or foot in helping it reach it's aesthetic potential?
    Swear to God. Hope to die. There was no intervention in the arrangement of the rope. That's how it was. Indeed, even if I had wanted to I wouldn't have dared. There were two hardened-looking Fife fishermen pottering about on their boat on the other side of the harbour (which is just out of the frame at the top). I think they were eyeing me up thinking, 'What is that idiot doing over there ... on his knees ... with a camera ... on a tripod thingy?'. If I'd tried to touch the rope, I wouldn't have given much for my chances.

Real Name
    Sharon

There were two hardened-looking Fife fishermen pottering about on their boat on the other side of the harbour (which is just out of the frame at the top). I think they were eyeing me up thinking, 'What is that idiot doing over there ... on his knees ... with a camera ... on a tripod thingy?'. If I'd tried to touch the rope, I wouldn't have given much for my chances.
    Aye..I've seen that look!

Hi Donald, I really like your shot. I trawled through my albums (not music!) and couldn't find Kylie but did find Brenda. Same habour but 4 years ago. Lovely tranquil place. I have some relatives along that coast but don't get to visit too often.

Say hello to Kylie

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Little View Post
    I trawled through my albums (not music!) and couldn't find Kylie but did find Brenda.
    Oh yes you did. Look at the registration number of that boat beside Brenda and then look at Kylie's number! SNAP!

Wow....that'll teach me to be too quick. Attention to detail. I missed the '9' under the rope and was looking for '44'. Fancy that!

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Lovely B&W capture..... as we have come to demand from Donald who sets the bench mark in such things for most of us!
    Can't add anything in addition to the above comments from my betters. But wait! How about this? Bit of trivia raised by this post. So, what was the nickname given to the divine Ms Kylie M early in her singing career Down Under? (Ozzers are barred from entering a reply on the basis of insider trader knowledge! )