Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Old Jetty Revisited

Real Name
    colin

Old Jetty Revisited

Old Jetty Revisited

A redo of Old Jetty utilizing the advice you helpful members suggested i.e. something for the eye to follow (rocks)

A level horizon, and an attempt to sharpen the timbers.

How did I do folks.

Cheers Colin.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Old Jetty Revisited

having not seen the original, I will comment as I see this one, the sky looks a little over saturated (could be the high quality work screen ) there is small blob at the bottom of the frame it is not offering anything to the picture so I would take it out, just crop up so its gone. it a nice scene with good exposure control, just doesn't hold my interest for to long.

Only my opinion

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by GEORDIE View Post
    A redo of Old Jetty utilizing the advice you helpful members suggested i.e. something for the eye to follow (rocks)

A level horizon, and an attempt to sharpen the timbers.

How did I do folks.

Cheers Colin.
    Hi Colin! That's a great improvement and the scene is much more interesting. Paul makes a good point with the black object at the bottom. For me, the sky saturation is more of a personal taste item.

There are a couple of new observations we could make if you are up to some additional feedback.

You have three bands of colour in this image: the beach brown, the ocean blue-green, and the sky light blue. The three colours are complementary and for me, work well together!

Paul mentions that the composition doesn't hold attention for very long. To try to figure out why, we need to understand how most folks view a scene.

We usually start with an 'attention getter', then follow the leading lines (such as the piles or horizon in this case), then, having made a circuit around the image, come back to rest on the 'attention getter'. For a really interesting composition, we might then explore the image a second or third time looking for interesting details that we glanced over on the first pass.

What makes a good attention getter? I've posted this before but it may be worthwhile to post again. Usually it is the main subject that the viewer’s eye is drawn to:
    • Sharp elements before out-of-focus elements
    • Human elements before non-human elements
    • Faces before other elements, and on the face, the eyes first
    • Warm colors over cool colors
    • Bright colors over dark colors
    • Areas of high contrast over areas of low contrast
    • Recognizable elements before unrecognizable elements
    • Oblique or diagonal lines before strait lines
    • Large, dominant elements before smaller elements
    • Isolated elements before cluttered elements

Some things seem to really grab attention like bright red and text. We'll almost always read the text in an image first, often the detriment of the image's finer points.

Let’s take another look at this image. What is your eye first drawn to? The sea? The piles? The rocks? The beach? The sky? Each element is interesting in its own right and worthy of being the focal point, but because they all complete on almost an equal basis, we really don't have a single attention getter but rather many to choose from!

Now consider in your mind’s eye what it might look like with a boy and girl (and maybe a puppy thrown in for good measure) walking on the beach and large enough in the image to be prominent?

OK. I agree that that is not what this picture is about but just for the moment think about what it does as far as a subject goes. Your eye goes to the human element first then explores all of the other great elements in this scene, then returns to the boy and girl (and puppy?) to see details like the expressions on their faces.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 18th May 2012 at 07:30 PM.

Real Name
    Paul

Great explanation it shame a lot people wont get to see it

Real Name
    Sharon

Have you consideed a mono conversion Paul?

I think it would work very well.

Real Name
    colin

Hi Paul,
    Helpful comments, as a raw recruit to the world of photography I need any and all advice.

Thank you, Colin.

Real Name
    colin

Frank as always very constructive advice and I have to say on this occasion very detailed.
    It gives me great incentive to keep on keeping on.

Thank's Colin.

Real Name
    colin

Hi Sharon
    I think a mono is a great idea.

Thank you Colin.