Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The image with no name ... yet

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The image with no name ... yet

I can’t find the right name for this image . Maybe you can help. The story below might help you.

I have to confess right away – I really, really like this one. But, of course, you are entitled to disagree and, if that is the case, I’d love to hear why. I’m very conscious that I might be blinded by my enthusiasm and not being as objective as I should.

Why do I like it and what’s it about?

First, why do I like it?

I like the composition. I think it’s got strong elements that direct the viewer. It’s a simple image in the sense that there’s not many ‘bits’ in it, but at the same time, I like to think it engages the viewer and offers a lot to explore. I think it’s an example of KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

I think I nailed the exposure well.

I am very, very happy with the B & W conversion. I did this using Nik’s Silver Efex Pro 2 (SEP2). The key to how it looks was the, I think, very good use of the ‘Dynamic Brightness’ and ‘Soft Contrast’ and 'Structure' controls on SEP2. I do say 'very good' because I do feel I got this one pretty near right. But, please, do disagree if you think I'm wrong. These controls do open up a myriad of possibilities in terms of the appearance of the final image.

I like to think that although they are only a small part of the image, the food containers at the bottom right, as the central part of the story, are presented in a way that makes it clear that they are indeed at the heart of the narrative.

So, what’s it about?

Over the past weeks and months a germ has started to grow in my head about a project based on waste/trash/rubbish (depending on which country you are in), recycling and our attitudes and behaviours regarding dealing with our waste. I’ve got a few ideas, this being one of them.

Regretably, the UK population, generally, behaves diabolically when it comes to waste. Compared to many European countries in particular (I am less knowledgeable about other parts of the world), our behaviour is disgusting and disgraceful. This is a perfect example.

Saturday morning … after the pubs and clubs on Friday night. Two people either standing or, more likely, in a car have stopped at a fast food takeaway and then come into the parking area to eat their meal. Instead of walking 6 feet (2 metres) to the waste bin/ trash can, they drop the containers on the ground. Who the hell do they expect to come along and pick it up (actually I did, after I took this photograph).

This sort of behaviour just puts my blood pressure up through the ceiling.

So, there you go. A long story to introduce an image. But I do like it very much. What do you think?

The image with no name ... yet
    Canon 40D, EF 24-70 f2.8 L @ 24mm. ISO100. 1/125@f11

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: The image with no name ... yet

Powerful image for sure. Including the beautiful landscape the touch of a master.

I like taking pics of "things we do not see/notice" but have never considered those items in the wider context in which they were found. A good learning experience for me.

Real Name
    Mike

Donald- I really like the composition of this image. The fact that you set it up to include the trash and bin in there I think changed how you would normally compose a shot like this. It jars the mind a bit as to the unexpected. Its basically a very clean image, you want to follow the line of the railing, but... theres THIS TRASH sticking out getting my attention! It makes you look, think, and wonder.

Having started playing around with B&W images using my current PP software, I can see the subtle differences that a B&W specific software adds and it makes it pop some more.

Im kind of surprised that the UK isn't as riled up about pollution? I thought there was a time with all the coal or factory emissions caused a major health uproar? At least thats what happened in the US and the efforts to promote cleaning up. I remember as a boy, people would drive along the roads and would regularly throw their trash (finished fast food meals) out the window and nobody cared. The sides of the roads were awful. Now, if you throw a cigarette butt out your window, people say "Hey!"

Real Name
    Sharon

Attempt # 3 at a reply as my hub keeps going down.

Donald..it is strong, emotive and message driven but not so overtly as to overshadow the beauty of the composition.

I think you made great choices with silver pro..dynamic brightness and soft contrast and structure are amazingly effective used well , as here. ( I love SP..!)

Lines and shadows are all elegant and considered.

Excellent work.

I love this image. Not too many photos carry a very clear message right in them. This one does. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I can’t find the right name for this image . Maybe you can help.
    I think you did find the right name!

Call it "Who the hell do they expect to come along and pick it up!?"

It would be a very strong name. It's very well said. It has rhythm to it. It's original. It has attitude. What else can you want from the name?

Real Name
    Philip

This sort of behaviour is really infuriating, but perhaps they don't put the remains of their takeaway in the McBin because trash is not capable of dealing with trash.

However, this picture tells the story very effectively. It is a great composition, Donald, and I like the square format for this image. Just one very tiny point - what do you think about removing the post (is it a life buoy?) along the wall?

Philip

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    - what do you think about removing the post (is it a life buoy?) along the wall?

Philip
    No...every tiny thing in this pic is there for a reason and that definitely includes the Life buoy..in my view anyway!

Real Name
    Philip

Perhaps the image might be called simply, "Takeaway".

Philip

Real Name
    Paul

bin there .....

Real Name
    Peter

Recently I got to go watch the lorax with my kids.... Whilst this is a nice story in itself, what prompted me to say it was the quote at the end that said....

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better round here. It's not.

For those familiar with that story, the lorax leaves a rock with a single word on it for the main protagonist to ponder. The word?

"unless"

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Donald, technically a great image and a very relevant message to strengthen it. The depth of the conversion is very good I will certainly use it as a reference.

Even in our prime National Parks I stop to pick up litter thrown from cars by idiots. I once found a discarded wine bottle that was so hot from the sun I couldn't pick it up without gloves, it was ready to start a bush fire.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you all for taking the time to comment.

I am glad that the image made some connection with the issue highlighted.

Thank you Vladimir & Philip for the name suggestions. It's a bit wordy but I do like what you suggested Vladimir and that is what I'm going to go with.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Im kind of surprised that the UK isn't as riled up about pollution?
    It's a lot better than it was say 10 or even 5 years ago, but it still only bought into by a minority of people. Some months ago, my partner was walking past a car when the guy opened the window and threw out one of the fast-food containers, right in front of her. She knocked on the window of the car and told him to pick it up (which he did). But then he got into the car and in setting off accelerated hard towards her, veering off at the last moment to avoid her.

It's really a hearts and minds thing. The cultural attitudes need to change and we're not doing enough to make that happen. The cost of employing people to collect the litter that people drop and of the machines to pick it up, costs the economy millions and millions of pounds each year. Crazy!

Real Name
    Joe

I viewed this earlier this morning but held off commenting. Because I shoot almost exclusively in color I cannot comment on the technical aspect of black and white. I think the composition is strong and well presented. It speaks to our times and conveys a message about the world we live in. I could not tell exactly from the image if the object slightly beyond the trash was a garbage container, if so the image speaks more loudly.

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    I could not tell exactly from the image if the object slightly beyond the trash was a garbage container.
    Why not? If you zoom in - you can see the sign on it, which says "It's a garbage container"... Or something to that effect.

It's a bit wordy but I do like what you suggested Vladimir and that is what I'm going to go with.
    No way! I am honored!
    Now - check this out: this title has same rhythm as the major components in your image:

- Who the hell - the rail
    - Do they expect - the shore
    - To come along - the trash
    - And pick it up - the container

... Now - am I crazy, or what?

She knocked on the window of the car and told him to pick it up
    This is EXTREMELY dangerous thing to do! My co-worker's relative got into a hospital with a serious head trauma, after trying something similar in a washroom of some bar. The a..hole who threw the trash on the floor punched the guy (who simply asked - why not in a trash can?) in the nose, the guy fell and landed hitting something hard with his head... I think there was a felony trial after that, etc... BUT the bottom line is - you don't want to mess with that trash! (Pun intended)

Real Name
    Scott

I'd call it "black and white study of anonymous lazy b.........d."

Perhaps the guy jumped off the bridge and drowned after tossing the trash.
    Last edited by Donald; 20th May 2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Just a wee edit on the naughty word. But I agree with the sentiment.

Real Name
    Carolyn

i like the apparent equidistance between the discarded containers and the life buoy from the bin. It makes a statement of its own. I like the way the posts lean inwards as though they are looking with disdain, disbelief or curiosity upon the rubbish. They could almost be having a conversation with the bin, with the slot as the mouth facing outwards towards the sea- maybe in a scream, even.
    The shape of the bin is reminiscent of a cannon barrel on end. What does this say ? It imagines being loaded with the rubbish. It also speaks of defence from invasion. It tells, put the rubbish in the bin and we will not drown in our own waste. The sea of course is a background for all thes metaphors, drawing them together.
    I like your idea for the project. I really despise people who leave their litter on the blue flag beach up coast from our village- our wild beach is rather spoiled by washed up disposable nappies. What on earth possesses these people? I despise the fishermen who cme to our village and leave their Macdonald's trash on our clifftop- for goodness sake, the nearest McD is 25 miles away! Someone has to pick it up - usually we who live there.

Your photo project could be a powerful weapon with images like this- subtle yet stinging. "Bio-degrading" in fact.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty Plumchip View Post
    Your photo project could be a powerful weapon with images like this- subtle yet stinging. "Bio-degrading" in fact.
    Thank you, again, to those who have added comments.

Carolyn - Your comments have fired the enthusiasm. I need to draw a more detailed project plan than I have in my head at the moment ... and get on with it.