Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Candid portrait

Real Name
    Blake

Candid portrait

Me and my brother were in the music store, and as part of my growing policy of having the camera on me at all times (weather people think I'm a hipster or not), I was able to get a picture.

Candid portrait

Yes I should have used a fill flash, and I'm kind of kicking myself for not thinking of it now, but hopefully that's a lesson I'll only have to learn once. I'm not used to doing this kind of photography, so at least I"m pushing the envelope!

Re: Candid portrait

But if you use flash you run the risk of creating over exposure on his right arm, neck and parts of the background. So it would need to be used with care. Possibly manual camera settings and a bit of negative flash compensation?

Maybe slightly increasing the midtone brightness might be worth trying.

Is the white balance a little on the yellow side? Possibly from the ambient light source.

Real Name
    Blake

I actually was using manual. Any brighter and it was starting to overexpose the arm just as you said. Lets see the EXIF data here...

Nikon D90
    50mm 1.8D
    1/40s
    f/2.8
    ISO 640

I suppose, if you had used flash it would have enabled you to increase the shutter speed and reduce Iso; providing you still managed to keep the exposure under control. And use a slightly narrower aperture.

But those items aren't really a major issue here.

Real Name
    Richard

Very nice image... I wonder how it would look with a vignette added?

Real Name
    Blake

how about this

Candid portrait

Real Name
    Rebecca

Great picture, I like all the guitars in the background setting the scene as well.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

I like the bak ground and the composition Blake. While the light is not perfect it is a good shot because it tells you whats happening. A good habit to pack a camera where ever you go.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Blake,

I'm thinking it is crying out for a reflector to bounce a bit of the overhead light back up to his face, but then you'd need someone to hold it and the store might have something to say about it too

How about a bit of 'dodging' in PP to lighten his face?

I agree it looks a bit yellow, but the floor and guitars themselves are contributing to that even if the WB is correct for the lighting.

I'd also do some selective burning on teh background labels to tone them down a bit, although it is better in the second with the vignette.

Nice capture and composition,

Real Name
    Paul

Erm does candid not mean not posed? I like the shot gives a good feel to, if you use fill in flash then they see it and you only get the one shot, no flash and you may get others, if you shoot raw you can always add some light to the shadows an correct the white balance to if you wanted to

Real Name
    Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Blake,

I'm thinking it is crying out for a reflector to bounce a bit of the overhead light back up to his face, but then you'd need someone to hold it and the store might have something to say about it too

How about a bit of 'dodging' in PP to lighten his face?

I agree it looks a bit yellow, but the floor and guitars themselves are contributing to that even if the WB is correct for the lighting.

I'd also do some selective burning on teh background labels to tone them down a bit, although it is better in the second with the vignette.

Nice capture and composition,
    I agree with the labels. I did do some dodging on the face in first one, but the second one was just a quick edit from the RAW file to see the vignette.

Real Name
    Blake

Quote Originally Posted by paul17 View Post
    Erm does candid not mean not posed? I like the shot gives a good feel to, if you use fill in flash then they see it and you only get the one shot, no flash and you may get others, if you shoot raw you can always add some light to the shadows an correct the white balance to if you wanted to
    Candid meaning I just happened to have my camera and I was kind of bored. Me and my brother were just killing time, so as he was playing I pulled the camera out and took some shots.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by blakemcguire View Post
    Candid meaning I just happened to have my camera and I was kind of bored. Me and my brother were just killing time, so as he was playing I pulled the camera out and took some shots.
    Hi Blake,

I think Paul's first sentence was directed at me, as yours should be, for me not taking on board the concept of candid meaning unposed

I'm just an aspiring perfectionist
    I guess I'm just sayin' that if a posed reshoot were to be tried, this would be an ideal situation to use a reflector.

In fact it is really me re-enforcing the thought to myself, because I have yet to try this kind of available light protraiture, despite having all the kit. I might as well learn form your experience.

You could try the dodging idea though.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Paul

Hi Blake,

I think Paul's first sentence was directed at me, as yours should be, for me not taking on board the concept of candid meaning unposed
    Cheers,
    Correct

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

If I were going to shoot that again I'd use fill flash. Also, I'd experiment with different angles.

Real Name
    Blake

Hi Blake,

I'm just an aspiring perfectionist
    I guess I'm just sayin' that if a posed reshoot were to be tried, this would be an ideal situation to use a reflector.

In fact it is really me re-enforcing the thought to myself, because I have yet to try this kind of available light protraiture, despite having all the kit. I might as well learn form your experience.

You could try the dodging idea though.

Cheers,

I'm always up for critiques! I agree about having a reflector though, if only I had more money to work with :P.