Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: paper choices

Real Name
    Dan

paper choices

I've been working my way through sampler packs of Red River and Moab papers, using a Canon Pro 9000II, with generally pleasing results. However, I am stumped by one of the choices. Most of the coated papers both companies sell are very high in optical brighteners. E.g., all of the luster papers they provide are high in OBAs. From what I have read, pretty much all very-bright-white papers have a lot of OBAs.

Apart from the truer whites, the papers with a lot of optical brighteners provide crisper detail in certain kinds of photos, e.g., those with textured white-to tan surfaces. (E.g., I just printed some comparisons with Red River's Ultra Pro Satin 2.0, which is quite a bit lower in OBAs, and the difference is clear.) However, I have read a number of warnings (including one on Red River's site) that OBAs will fade and that the results can be uneven and unattractive.

I have some prints on my walls, under glass, that are done on fairly high OBA papers that have not faded visibly after a couple of years. Anyone have experience with fading from deteriorating OBAs? How long does it generally take, for covered and uncovered images? I'd like to learn more before buying a big pile of one or the other.

Many thanks.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: paper choices

There are simply too many variables to provide a good answer. These optical bleaches fluoresce under ultraviolet light and give that "whiter than white" look. Keep them away from UV, and they add nothing to the appearance of your print. In the past I did notice some correlation between how well the whiteners stood up and how well the blues and purples in my prints stood up. Both are somewhat affected by UV.

I personally tend to print on archival papers, that are designed for longevity. Prints that I do display tend to be in environments with minimal UV, so the whiteners don't buy me anything.

Real Name
    Dan

Manfred,

Thanks for your reply. I did more reading after posting, before I saw your answer, and found a reminder that OBAs respond to UV. I generally hang prints behind UV-protecting glass, which should reduce but not eliminate UV. So, I put prints from three different papers, two luster papers with high OBAs and a satin with low OBAs, on a desk in open sunlight, but under UV-protecting glass. It did reduce the visual difference, but it did not eliminate it. Differences under tungsten were smaller yet but not zero. I suspect there were other variables, e.g., the substrates used.

I also found that OBAs have been used in photo papers since the 1950s. I had wondered about that, because I used to print on Agfa B&W papers that were very white. One of the articles I found that examined the long-term effects of OBAs used a print by Ansel Adams as an example.

Still haven't made up mind. I print with dye-based inks, so I am not looking for longevity measured in centuries anyway.

Dan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I ran across some old prints (on Kodak Polycontrast and Agfa Brovira B&W papers) I made back in the 1970's. Still in good shape and I do remember some of those papers were treated with optical whiteners.

I do print with pigments and fading over 2 years since I got the printer have been negligible.