Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A day at the ZOO

Real Name
    Patrik

A day at the ZOO

Some shots through tight wire fence (thank God ) or glass windows, but still fun.

1. A day at the ZOO

2. A day at the ZOO

3. A day at the ZOO

4. A day at the ZOO

5. A day at the ZOO

6. A day at the ZOO
    [This picture was terribly overexposed ;the white is all the background sky and sorry for cutting off the ear.]

Real Name
    Mary

Re: A day at the ZOO

Some very good images.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Patrik,

They are on the whole a good series and I'm well aware of the difficulties of zoo shooting

Since you look to have done as good as possible with the captures, here are some ideas for PP that might slightly improve them;
    1. I would clone out the diagonal twig in front of the chest and selectively sharpen the eye a little - you need to do this on the full size version before downsizing and final sharpening, so that it then becomes as sharp as the feathers.

2. I would extend the canvas on the right hand side by say 20px and clone on some of the background just to put a gap between the subject and the edge of the shot. Otherwise it's great; perfect focus on the eye with such a slim DoF.

3. I'd clone out anything that distracts from the subject (shame they sit in the shade ), so that's all the dark and light things in distance at top of frame. Might be worth slightly lightening the foreground shadow on left and clone out the slate looking stone, overall, I'd consider a small clockwise rotation to make the ground level, even though I accept it may not have been in reality.

4. Nice shot, if more space above, I'd include another few more percent above the head, but also lose a lot on the left to make this a portrait orientation shot with the subject looking more into the frame than out.

5. Very nice, might benefit from another 50 pixels above the ear.

6. Great timing; this really tells a story with their eating habits, it is obviously a shame with the stalks in front of the face, but there's not much you can do. Yes, having the horn and ear tips would be nice

Never the less, a good series and my suggestions might help (I hope) in making them just a little better. (I'm not implying you have to, of course)

Cheers,

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Wow.. An awesome set of pictures. You have captured that snake very well. & you can actually feel the authority & royalty of the tiger.

Real Name
    Patrik

Your wish is my command. ..thanks Dave. I will implement all your suggestions. Re. the snake I was lucky to get a good focus as this creature wasn't still for a second, had to chase it continuously.

Real Name
    Patrik

Thanks Sahil but the tiger is a lion. There was a white tiger couple at the zoo but hiding in a corner behind some bushes. All I could get was a blurry glimpse as attached.
    A day at the ZOO

Real Name
    Patrik

Sorry Sahil. Tiger is Royalty but Lions have their "pride"

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

and of course, the Lion is "king of the Jungle"