Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Operation noise

Operation noise

On those relatively rare occasions when someone wants me to photograph something, it's often at an indoor event like a small concert (classical music typically). This means no flash, fast lenses etc., but also quiet operation. With my EOS 40D, the shutter and mirror are sometimes simply too loud to use without being annoying. If an audio recording is being made then it's not possible except at breaks. So my question is: does anybody know a practical way to quieten things down? I know about the 'silent' modes in live view, but that's not really feasible especially with the flip-mirror AF (manual focus is too slow a process most of the time), and anyway when the camera goes into low power mode the mirror returns, which is another thing to watch out for. Failing that, is there a quieter option that will take EF lenses (and preferably EF-S too)? Slower shot-to-shot time would be an acceptable compromise in that situation. I guess live view with contrast detect AF on a newer body might work, although there's still the power-down issue (as far as I know), and it would be better not to have a big glowing screen, so the viewfinder is preferable if it's going to work. I don't really want to spend a lot of money on a top-of-the line body or a different system. The 40D generally does a pretty good job, except for the operation noise issue in this particular case.

Thanks,
    Will

Real Name
    Mario

Re: Operation noise

Hello Will.

I don't understand what "the camera goes into low power mode the mirror returns" means. Maybe you mean the automatic turn off after a time without user input; if so, it can be disabled, consult your manual.

As for the screen brilliance issue, consider a LCD viewfinder.

Real Name
    Andrew

If someone is giving you notice for photos in advance of a concert and it's important, perhaps you could inquire if there is an opportunity to take the photos during a rehearsal when a flash or noise would not be as disruptive. Baring that, just prior to or after the performance would be a good time. They might even be able to arrange a good seat for you to take the shots at one of those times.

Real Name
    Hero

If you insist on using a slr, the best advice I can give you is to study what will be played and to only shoot on the louder moments in the music. That and to reconsider getting a mirrorrless (compact)camera.

I do consult the manual. The 40D usually doesn't like being left in live view for extended periods of time. You can end up with a temperature warning and a flat battery. Newer bodies are probably better in that regard. But of course the auto power down time can be changed. Anyway, the 40D's live view implementation is only really useful for static scenes. I will look into LCD viewfinders if I get a newer camera one day. I don't know much about those.

Usually, all of the rehearsals are in the place that they rehearse all the time, under ordinary room lighting. The venue for the performance is only set up for the performance itself. So there's little opportunity to get useful shots except during an actual concert with the audience present. The performance is generally more interesting than shots during set up or afterwards, posed or otherwise, but of course you can get something that way from time to time.

I don't insist on using an SLR. I have an SLR that I use for everything else. I don't need to do it at all really, but if I can get more use out of my existing gear, so much the better. The music has to be pretty loud to drown out the camera noise for people who are close by, and since most of it is not loud at all, that restricts the opportunities and makes timing harder. It's a matter of not being too intrusive. Flash is completely out of the question, but the image itself isn't the problem anyway. I thought that maybe somebody knew of a way to muffle the sound without making the setup too clumsy that I haven't thought of.