Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rotating photographs for viewing

Real Name
    Ken

Rotating photographs for viewing

I recently took a number of images in a controlled house burn, some landscape and some portrait. I downloaded them onto computer and rotated those than were in the wrong orientation, using Windows viewer. When I copied the images to a memory stick to view on a TV, with memory stick input, the images were still in the wrong orientation on the TV. How can I correct them?

Rotating photographs for viewing

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Rotating photographs for viewing

Perhaps try opening them in Photoshop / Photoshop Elements and then re-saving a COPY of the image?

Or virtually any photo editing software.

Some viewing software, such as ACDSee for example, should also do what you want.

I assume that Windows viewer only rotates the image for as long as it is active.

Or you can edit it the relevant tag in the EXIF data.

Ken

Real Name
    J stands for John

I would suggest if you copy your camera file you do it using a lossless file system such as bmp,tif, or the proprietary lossless system of your editor such as psd for Photoshop and pspimage with Paint Shop Pro. If you can control your jpg process it can be pretty safe to copy if it is set to minimum [nil] compression, I read a report of somebody doing it 20 times to prove his point that jpg could be lossless but personally I wouldn't trust myself to know how to do this. It is somewhere in my editor [PSPx4] which I found some time ago but with my scatterbrain I don't remember where it was.
    You should never click the 'save' button unless you are really happy for the original file to be written over [ destroyed ] by the new file and always use 'Save as' where you are prompted for both a file name and file system. It can be a bit tedious with a lot of files to be handled but the only safe way to work. Changing the file system means you can use the same name and both files will happilly sit together in the folder which saves a bit of time and effort. Some editors don't have a 'save as' button on the editing page which means you have to go 'file/save' as which is a bore.

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    a lossless file system... lossless system of your editor... both a file name and file system... Changing the file system
    Correction, you mean file type.

The term file system is usually applied to the way the disk is formatted, FAT, FAT32, NTFS, whatever it is a Mac uses, etc.

Ken
    (your friendly local pedant)

Real Name
    Hero

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Or you can edit it the relevant tag in the EXIF data.

Ken
    I am not 100% certain but I reckon that is exactly what windows viewer does. At least that is what EOG on Ubuntu does. Trouble is, many applications ignore what is in the exif data and just use the image-data to display the image. What you realy need to do is shuv the pixels AND edit the exif-data or else windows viewer might get it wrong again. So use some real editing software and stay away from the editing buttons in viewers.