Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My First Bug

Real Name
    Kevin

My First Bug

Never photographed a bug before, and am not even sure what makes a good bug shot. But here's my first, (and maybe my last?) Handheld, with 80-200 2.8. Thanks for any c&c. better in lytebox

1/500 at f/5.6 120mm ISO 320

My First Bug

Re: My First Bug

Usually, but not always, Kevin, a good bug shot requires plenty of focus depth. Which means a smaller aperture (like F11 or F14) and reducing the shutter speed to compensate, subject to Iso settings.

But don't have too low a shutter speed so camera shake or subject movement (wind rock etc) becomes a problem. Say something around 1/200.

However, we are now, ideally, talking about a tripod, or at least a monopod, to help with sharpness.

Then comes composition. For me, it is a conscious decision between a flower, plus bug, or a bug with a flower background. So in this particular case I would crop closer.

Bug photography is certainly challenging, but also fascinating. There is a rather steep learning curve but a rewarding one.

Do keep experimenting with bugs, but the danger is that once you get interested in macro photography it soon becomes expensive.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thaks, Geoff

I confess this was an "accidental" shot- I went out with marching orders from my wife to get a pic of whatever that plant is, and the bee dropped by. Was pretty windy, hence the high ISO, f stop and shutter speed. I see what you are saying about the conscious decision regarding featuring the bug, flower or both- the above is the result of no decision being made at all. Thanks for the feedback, Geof.

Kevin

Real Name
    Louise

Ok, Wow, because you said first shot. The "bug" appear extremely focus, clear, to me. I took many, many shots before I got one this focus! Happy clicking!

Real Name
    Andrew

This is a great shot Kevin. Very crisp. I can't hand-hold on a horse let alone a bug. Good background colours for the bee as well.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks, Louise and Andrew. I appreciate the encouragement, and may yet chase some more bugs, and possibly learn the names of more than 2 or 3 insects and flowers- that's about my entire repertoire at present