Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Candid: Critique Requested.

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Candid: Critique Requested.

I live in the woods in a writer's residency in Massachusetts. Every spring, a troop of Morris Dancers come by and perform for whomever is in residence. I read them some poems and a friend read them some poems. While he was reading I shot this candid:Candid: Critique Requested.

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Candid: Critique Requested.

Hi Doug,

I'm sorry but I have all sorts of problems with this.
    Please don't get me wrong - as a photo it's fine, perhaps I'd do a small crop from the right to make the group more of, well, a group.
    But after that, technically, I can't see any other problems, the whites are white, colours nice and bright, and even the two chaps wearing hats haven't had their faces cast into dark shade.

It looks like a lovely setting for some interesting characters.

And that's where, in my opinion, this falls down - Morris men (love 'em or hate 'em) make good subjects for photography yet here they are watching (or as you say, listening...) to something we can't see or hear - where is the dance?
    If you take away your back story it could be a nicely executed photo of some people queueing for a burger with the guy in the back with the specs on thinking something like "I hope they have some onions left when it's my turn."

I apologise if that comes across as a bit harsh.

Regards
    Mike

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: Candid: Critique Requested.

I agree with Mike. This isn't a traditional group portrait nor an environmental portrait. It's obvious from the people in the shot that they are all focusing on something so whatever it is would be a major part of the story. It needs to be included.