Thread: This from this

Real Name
    Peter

This from this

I'm getting into Elements 10 & have been playing with an old photo. I removed the cracks with the spot healing brush, played around with the light values, & decided that a pencil sketch finish would look better. Your honest opinion would be appreciated.

pencil-sketch_edited-1.jpg

original.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Donald; 7th May 2012 at 03:23 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: This from this

Peter - You'll see that I inserted the images into your post, rather than just leave them as thumbnails. This makes it easier for people to comment.

You might want to check out the thread that that explains all about posting images - HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Peter - You'll see that I inserted the images into your post, rather than just leave them as thumbnails. This makes it easier for people to comment.

You might want to check out the thread that that explains all about posting images - HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?
    Thank you sir. I will check out the thread

Hi Peter,
    Are you asking if pencil sketch is better than unprocessed original?
    Do you have processed version before "pencil sketch" effect? Maybe - in another layer? (alluding to another thread going on in parallel here)

Real Name
    Peter

vladimir: This is the second stage...

This from this

I had removed the scoring & other faults, but I wondered if I could improve on the overall effect. I used the photo as an exercise working in Elements.

Thank you Donald, it worked. Now all I have to do is to remember what I did the next time around

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

My personal opinion is that I think you're getting closer to it with the last image you posted; i.e. the 2nd stage image.

I think the repair work is super. But I feel the pencil sketch has confused subject and background. What I mean is that the background has become 'over-busy' and is starting to compete with the subject for attention. Indeed the hair is starting to merge into the background that that fine young fellow is not standing out from it (the background). Whereas, in the '2nd stage' copy, although it could maybe use a bit more gently nudging to separate background and subject, it is much clearer and I think we have an image that is more of its time. I feel a 1933 image needs to look like a 1933 image ... if that makes sense.

Hope this thought helps your thinking about it.

Real Name
    Peter

Thank you for your comments. I take your point on the background & hair in the 'pencil' image. Having taken a second look I have to agree. As to the 1933 imaging, would a sepia tone be more appropriate? The original is a B&W.
    If nothing else, I have enjoyed working on the image & I think I have learned a lot. I have used a Wacom Bamboo pen & touch throughout the process for the first time. Two lessons in one. Now that is what I call good value

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Peter

A slight sepia on it might add to it. I think it would be a case of 'try it and see'.

And as for the the Tablet - well now that you've used it it I'm sure you'll never go back to using a mouse for photographic work. I don't think I could process an image using a mouse any longer. I'd find it far too cumbersome.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Peter

A slight sepia on it might add to it. I think it would be a case of 'try it and see'.

And as for the the Tablet - well now that you've used it it I'm sure you'll never go back to using a mouse for photographic work. I don't think I could process an image using a mouse any longer. I'd find it far too cumbersome.
    I'll give the Sepia a go.
    The Tablet: For some strange reason I could not get it working as it should on Paint Shop Pro. It was intermittent at best.

Real Name
    Peter

Here's one, as you say, Try it & see.

This from this

It's ALL matter of taste, isn't it?.. As we've said here many times already.

To my taste - sepia should not have any pinkish or bluish-greenish in it or around it.

#2 is still the best, IMHO. Just remove the remaining specs, which look like dust. One - in the corner of the boy's left eye. Some on the background, in his hair etc.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by vladimir View Post
    It's ALL matter of taste, isn't it?.. As we've said here many times already.

To my taste - sepia should not have any pinkish or bluish-greenish in it or around it.

#2 is still the best, IMHO. Just remove the remaining specs, which look like dust. One - in the corner of the boy's left eye. Some on the background, in his hair etc.
    Point taken, thank you. I was playing with the paper frame just to add a bit of colour. I remember my mother having a paper frame on a sepia photo & the colouring was close(ish) to what I have done, well, I think it was. I'm going back some 55+ - years ago