Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Critique Requested

Critique Requested

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Re: Critique Requested

Very interesting old house. Great character

I am glad to see the residents are keeping up with the landscaping; although they may want to spend some time and money on some light painting and touch up work to the exterior. I see they already have a ladder in place for spring gutter cleaning and the doors and windows open for airing.

I like the view of these old places with two sides showing. Gives a three dimensional view of the building and enhances the three dimensionality of the image.

The subtle colours of the faded wood and paint are best seen when there is no cloud to diffuse the light, the sky here looks somewhat overcast so another day when the sun is shining from behind you would give you much better lighting. I suspect that bright summer light in mid day would be too harsh; so morning or evening.

I would try to compose this in camera so the yellow and red canoes (?) and the reflective metal roof to the left are avoided. A lower angle and closer to the house with the tree trunk to the left framing one side of the image and the lower branch just above the roofline would be a stronger image. I suspect once the tree is in full leaf it will be well nigh unto impossible to avoid obscuring part of the house, however it might an interesting composition to have the vitality of the tree contrasting with the decrepitude of the house. However the bare tree is more fitting with the overall feeling these old buildings have so I agree with your choice of seasons. Fall and winter may work well too

I like the image.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Doug, this is a very interesting old home and it certainly has character. The bland sky gives a somber mood which fits the structure well.

I would crop to eliminate the newer home on the left as it doesn't complement the style of the subject. This should be an excellent candidate for some Local Contrast Enhancement.

If you decide to reshoot, consider a slightly lower shooting position (or closer in) to allow the tree branches to just touch the house but not block the view.

BTW, how are you enjoying the new D800?

Real Name
    Doug Anderson

Thanks, folks. Good comments all. I am loving the d800. I've had it almost a week and I've weaned myself from sleeping with it. I even like the way it sounds when the shutter fires.

If you do crop away those items on the left, taking a similar amount from the top will help to concentrate more on the building. Unless you are able to reshoot.

Real Name
    J stands for John

All that grass in the foreground keeps us away from the house. a case where a lower angle would be advantageous to lift the tree off the roof. A lower angle could reduce the apparent amount of grass too.

Agree with all the above comments. Currently the excess grass and the stuff to left of frame are a distraction. Also the tree is distracting from the building instead of enhancing it.

Shooting from lower and further to the right would allow the tree to frame the building, rather than obscure it. It would simultaneously remove the excess to the left and the extra grass.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

What a magnificent subject. The house in the bottom left corner has to go Doug, and for me the lower branch which appears to sit on the house takes away from the profile of the old house. Its a good shot which could be made better by getting a little closer for my two cents worth. I would love to see more shots from other angles if your able to go back again, and would be keen to see a monochrome or two.