Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Trying different crop technique...

Real Name
    Darren

Trying different crop technique...

For your consideration, an HDR image using a different crop technique - the triangle method.

I was having a difficult time cropping this photo with the usual thirds technique. I wanted to keep all of the sky, but there is some useless nonsense happening with the water at the bottom. It just felt too empty. I remembered Lightroom has multiple crop overlays. The one I found worked best was the triangle method. While it does not place my horizon on one of the thirds (as I usually do), it does place two objects onto the vertices of some triangles. See the overlay photo below. This works for me... I'm actually pleasantly surprised with the result. The resulting aspect ration also happens to be a perfect 16:9, to which I am rather partial.

Aside from the fact that I suspect some people here will simply wince and cringe at the sight of an HDR image, what do you guys think of the crop?

Re: Trying different crop technique...

Darren
    I happen to like HDR photographs. The 2/3 rule is for ideas. Putting the larger rocks and hillside away from the center of attention and highlighting the smaller add interest. The lighting helps this out wonderfully. I like it very much.
    Tim

Real Name
    JimC

Darren
    I was having trouble (to my eye) finding a reason to crop this photo at all. I know I'm Noob to the digital world and having seen some of your other work I know you have your tech reasons. I just really like the photo great capture JimC

Real Name
    Darren

Thanks Jim... here's the original no crop version. It seemed to me at the time that there was too much space at the bottom.

I used to think I was indecisive. But, now I'm not sure.

Real Name
    Bobo

Wonderful looking pic.

The crop works better imh0 as it takes away some of that attention drawing brightness from the bottom and lets one concentrate on other parts of the pic.