Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Camera strap comfort

Camera strap comfort

Apart from screaming Nikon, the camera strap supplied with my D90 feels like sandpaper on my neck and is so short I have to hang it round my neck when walking around. I prefer to wear it across my chest on a walkabout, and only have it round my neck on an extended fixed shoot.

After much searching of forums and Googling I finally came up with what seemed like a decent workable strap system, ordered it from the US, and now just six days later it has arrived and it has met all my expectations. Comfort and versatility.

It's the Optech Pro Loop Strap, combined with the No 9 System connectors. With just the strap it sits very comfortably around my neck, the weight being taken on a contoured 60mm wide neoprene (Wetsuit material) strap which has the main strap attached over it in such a way that the neoprene can stretch to absorb jolts. When I attach the No 9 extensions it sits comfortably across my chest with the camera at a good position just below my waist at the side, plenty of strap to get it straight up to my eye. Plenty of room for adjustment of both ends of the strap and the extenders.

Fully washable after the neoprene has been subject to a hot sweaty day.

I'm very pleased that what I have read about this strap appears to be true. The setup cost me around AU$41.00 including delivery from the US.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Comfort

Hi Bill,

The strap on my camera used to annoy me because it always flopped in front of the VF when shooting verticals.

In the end I just took it off, and installed a Canon hand strap - so now it basically just "hangs off the end of my arm" or if I've got a lens / flash on I just rest the lens on my other arm and kinda "fold my arms" around it.

I like and use this camera strap called the BlackRapid Rapid R-Strap. They have a double version that I use when I am on assignment and need to use two bodies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14Q1IxI_Opw

Here's one that I have been thinking about. The fact that it will be non-slip appeals to me all the more as often it is the most aggravating/irritating factor that I've encountered while shooting in the field.

As ever my disclaimer: I am in no way related to the company or anyone working there.

Cheers!
    Sai
    Flickr
    Last edited by Sai C; 9th July 2009 at 07:28 PM.

Re: Camera strap comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post

The setup cost me around AU$41.00 including delivery from the US.
    Hi Bill,
    Where did you order this from? I had a look at adorama (via amazon) and they wanted about 80 bucks to ship a 13 dollar strap

Real Name
    Jim

Another vote for the black rapid straps.I use the single strap.A real neck saver.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H View Post
    Hi Bill,
    Where did you order this from? I had a look at adorama (via amazon) and they wanted about 80 bucks to ship a 13 dollar strap
    http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Durac...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Look under "Straps" and further down the list "Strap Connectors"

Real Name
    Jack

I'm thinking of putting this (BlackRapid Rapid R-Strap) on my wishlist, saw the vids on you tube, thanks Amberglass. Anybody else use this?
    Seems great while riding on the motorcycle...

Dear Santa.............

I'm also looking for a more comfortable strap/harness which distributes the weight across both shoulders. What would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing fire View Post
    I'm also looking for a more comfortable strap/harness which distributes the weight across both shoulders. What would you recommend?
    Then I would recommend this one by Trekking:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ari_Strap.html

Another camera strap that I recommend if you prefer the more traditional strap, but with more comfort is by Trendy (http://www.trendycamerastraps.com/store-2.htm). The straps have a gel interior but without adding bulk. I use this strap if I need to use a tripod or requires putting my camera down to adjust surrounding (lights, reflectors, and etc).

Quote Originally Posted by jacsul View Post
    I'm thinking of putting this (BlackRapid Rapid R-Strap) on my wishlist, saw the vids on you tube, thanks Amberglass. Anybody else use this?
    Seems great while riding on the motorcycle...

Dear Santa.............
    You're welcome. I always carry my camera across so this was a natural progression for me. I have the simple version because I prefer carrying my CF cards in a belt pouch, not the strap itself.

Real Name
    Pops

I went with the Bushnell and am very happy with it. I am going to try the heavy-duty one next, for when I'm carrying one of my big lenses.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ess_Strap.html

Pops

Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post
    http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Durac...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Look under "Straps" and further down the list "Strap Connectors"
    Thanks Bill - I've ordered an OPTECH wrist grip strap as well as one of their pro straps. They are interchangeable as they have the same connectors. The main reason I got them was, I was sick of the NIKON strap getting in the way when the camera was on the tripod (which seems to be 90% of the time these days). So with these OPTECH strap I can quickly disconnect them.

Cheers

Real Name
    Richard

I am a great fan of OPTECH products and have not found any which I do not like.

I use an OPTECH Dual Harness for a pair of cameras but, this harness could easily be used for a single camera. This strap distributes the weight of the camera/cameras across my shoulders which makes it easy to carry. I occasionally wear this rig beneath my photo vest for additional safety and protection.

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Harness-B...9943754&sr=8-3

A more simple rig which places the camera on your chest is the OPTECH Bino Cam Harness. I have not used this rig but the price is certainly right.

http://www.amazon.com/TECH-USA-Bino-...9943754&sr=8-2

I like my camera securely supported at two points. If one of the connectors on this rig fails, the camera will not slip off. It will still be supported by the harness. If one connector fails on a normal neck strap - bye-bye camera.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 4th December 2009 at 04:54 PM.

Another vote for the blackrapid, The beauty of is that you can simply unhook your camera and put it on a table or on the seat beside you while still wearing the strap. - no strap flopping around the table etc. And when you use a heavy lens with a tripod collar you can sling the camera from that point rather than having all the weight on the camera mount -you just need to have an extra connector or 2..

Howard
    Last edited by Howard; 17th December 2009 at 08:10 AM. Reason: more thoughts.

I also use Black Rapid and am very satisfied with it. In addition I use Cotton Carrier whch consists of a light but strong nylon mesh harness with a breastplate to which the camera is attached. This is by far the most convenient way of carrying the camera (heavy lens and all) and it hiches on and off with a simple 90 degree twist. It has received a very good crit in the American on-line reviews. It is brand new on the market but I am sure it will soon become well known to the photographic community.