Thread: Upgrade P/S CS4

Real Name
    Russell

Upgrade P/S CS4

Hi, I no CS 6 is out but I got a good offer on CS 5 upgrade so the question is, When I upgrade from CS 4 to CS 5 will my workspace, actions, plug-ins etc etc go over automatically or will I need to re-install them all?
    Thanks in advance
    Russ

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Upgrade P/S CS4

Hi Russell. My experience has been that unless a feature is no longer supported, which is rare, and the previous version is installed when the upgrade is installed, that all the customizations you have made should remain operational. I'd check the website for installation instructions and the 'read me' file. If there are any operational changes they should be listed there.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Russell. My experience has been that unless a feature is no longer supported, which is rare, and the previous version is installed when the upgrade is installed, that all the customizations you have made should remain operational. I'd check the website for installation instructions and the 'read me' file. If there are any operational changes they should be listed there.
    Thank You
    Russ

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Hi, I know CS 6 is out, but I got a good offer on CS 5 upgrade
    Hi Russ,

Just make 100% sure the offer is legit ... there are a zillion counterfeight copies of Photoshop being offered, and there's no guarantee that they'll work due to the way Adobe do their activations (and I might add that many are EXTREMELY convincing, with 100% authentic-looking packaging etc).

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Russ,

Just make 100% sure the offer is legit ... there are a zillion counterfeight copies of Photoshop being offered, and there's no guarantee that they'll work due to the way Adobe do their activations (and I might add that many are EXTREMELY convincing, with 100% authentic-looking packaging etc).
    Hi, Yes I got stung with the CS4 but lucky got a refund but the CS5 is from a seller with over 3,000 plus feedback and all positive.
    Thanks
    Russ

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, sorry to drag this to the top again but you seem to get quicker answers here than on Adobe site.
    Anyway I have a legit CS5 P/S upgrade, I installed it but during the install did not even ask for proof that I already had CS4 active anyway it has installed but now I have both CS4 & CS5 and it did not carry across my other installed software/plugins.
    Do I need to uninstall CS4?
    Many Thanks
    Russ

Ok, sorted, the opinion is to leave both versions on the computer and re-install plugins.
    Thanks
    Russ
    Last edited by russellsnr; 17th May 2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Sorted

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Hi, sorry to drag this to the top again but you seem to get quicker answers here than on Adobe site.
    Anyway I have a legit CS5 P/S upgrade, I installed it but during the install did not even ask for proof that I already had CS4 active anyway it has installed but now I have both CS4 & CS5 and it did not carry across my other installed software/plugins.
    Do I need to uninstall CS4?
    Many Thanks
    Russ

Ok, sorted, the opinion is to leave both versions on the computer and re-install plugins.
    Thanks
    Russ
    I don't know about Photoshop as I don't use any plug-ins with it. I just upgraded my CS5.5 to CS6 and I use Colorista II with Premiere Pro. I needed a new installer from Red Giant Software (company that makes the plug-in) to install the software on the CS6 version. I would assume that you will have to reinstall the plug-ins as the do not come across automaticallly in the other Adobe products.

Coloritsta II is still up and running on the CS5.5 software. I just haven't gotten around to uninstalling yet (I'm still converting a couple of projects to CS6) and want to make sure they transfer properly before I uninstall 5.5. I suspect you will see the same thing when going from CS4 to CS5; Adobe seems to be consistent across all it's product lines this way.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

In my experience new versions always play nicely with old versions - so it really comes down to whether or not you don't mind the extra disk space being chewed up. The CS5 installer won't ask for proof because it'll already be finding the qualifying product -- you only get asked for proof when it's a clean install.

Sometime - just sometimes - I've seen files mis-associated so that they open in the wrong version of Photoshop, but it's not a big issue.

Real Name
    Russell

Thank you to ALL.
    I am just re-doing the plug-ins etc then just delete the CS4 icon (out of site out of mind)
    Russ

Real Name
    Ian (the other one)

In reference to upgrading, I have a cautionary tale:

I upgraded to Lightroom 4 and once it was happily churning away, decided to do a bit of housekeeping and uninstalled Lightroom 3...sadly I was not awake and ticked the box "delete preferences".

I didn't notice anything until I tried to use one of my custom print templates - they'd all gone! Shock horror!!

Luckily, being on MAC I only had to go back a few days in my Timemachine backup and I found the files and put them back so that LR4 can use them.

Moral: read the message box!