Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Trigger Trap

Real Name
    Tom

Trigger Trap

Has anyone come across this remote trigger from iphone?

has a wide range of shooting options

it looks like a bit of fun

www.triggertrap.com

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: Trigger Trap

They just announced the app today, so unlikely someone's used it extensively yet.

Most of us are probably more interested in the hardware triggertrap vs. the iOS app, though. The biggest difference is that the iOS app isn't good for high-speed photography. But having 12 different triggering modes is kind of cool. They've also said they're working on an Android version.

The hardware Triggertrap has been a big deal since it was announced on Kickstarter, as it's open source: both hardware and software.

Real Name
    Tom

I guess i was a bit ahead of the play on that one.

the hardware does look good but at that price i couldn't justify it, the app tho is i think at the right price to have a play with

Real Name
    Kathy

Ok. I finally bit, grabbed the app, the dongle, and cables for both my Panasonic G3, and my Canons (50D/5D2). I figured what the hell. Canon charges something like $130 for the remote with an intervalometer on it. And this way, I get a cable release for my G3 as well. So far, it's been working pretty well. Then again, I'm not in the EU (there's apparently an issue with some of the EU iPhones having a volume limiter in them that's gumming up the works).

I managed to shoot a timelapse video test with my G3 just this morning and it worked flawlessly with my iPodTouch. Took 200 images over 1 hour, spaced at 13 second intervals. I combined them into a video clip using Blender (open source cgi app). I do have issues with images not being taken if I try to get the interval to be smaller than 2 seconds, though. And, because I don't have GPS/compass capability in the iPodTouch, the Distance Lapse mode is wonky and the Tesla mode is inaccessible. I've tested the Motion, Sound, and Face Recognition modes, and they all work as advertised. But (I reiterate), the Sound sensor cannot be used for high-speed photography. Good, though, to take a self-portrait by snapping your fingers or clapping.

I haven't used it particularly thoroughly, but my first impression is that I got my money's worth. But this isn't 100% rock solid, and some bits of it are a PITA to use. The UI and default sensitivity settings need some work.

I do know some folks have been having problems with getting the app to trigger at all, and the HDR folks who didn't read the fine print are super-ticked off that the minimum shutter speed for the HDR mode is 5 seconds (which is where the majority of the low ratings on the iTMS come from), but if you were planning on buying an intervalometer-capable cable release and are into long-exposure photography, then this app, a dongle, and cable for $30 may be a good fit. Just be sure you can stand being a beta tester, and using your iOS device as a super-fancy cable release.

====

addendum: the time lapse mode isn't working with my 50D (no big, since I can use Magic Lantern instead).
    Last edited by inkista; 31st May 2012 at 07:57 PM.