Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 5D mkII

Real Name
    Malcolm

Canon 5D mkII

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to use an Eye-Fi memory card with a Canon 5D markII. I can't find any info on it so I presume it is negative but I just thought if anyone knows it would be some one here. I would like to be able to view shots on my iPad whilst I am doing a studio shoot just to check that everything is spot on and so that any problems or mistakes can be corrected whilst still at the studio. The larger size of the iPad screen and its great resolution makes this possible whilst I note I don't always pick up minor problems when viewing on the cameras screen. It is picking up minor problems and/or minor details in composition that I want to achieve and the clarity of the iPad screen is superb for that.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Canon 5D mkII

No, Eye-Fi is SD memory while your 5D take CF memory. By the way I've tested the Eye-Fi on my Nikon D90 and throughput is so slow as to be almost useless.

Real Name
    Robin

Aye, pretty much SD only. There is talk on some sites of it working with a CF adapter but it's very hot and miss plus with very low performance.

I use a Pro Eye-Fi card in my D300s from time to time as it supports Ad-Hoc networking so it will 'talk' to say my iPad or the MBP when out and about with no Wi-Fi hotspots around. Darn clever bit of tech and as I can set the camera to record a jpeg to the SD while still putting a RAW onto the CF the speed is pretty good.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Malcolm,

I tether my Camera to a PC with a 40" LED TV as a monitor in the studio -- absolutely invaluable. I've heard that another way of doing it is to tether the camera to a PC with a regular monitor and then use a RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) app on the ipad to view the screen.