Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: shopping for a new camera to replace Nikon D70

Real Name
    Keith

shopping for a new camera to replace Nikon D70

Hi again everyone. I have decided Ive about outgrown my trusty D70s. While i still love it and will use it, i feel its time to move on and up. sorry canon fans, but I'm going to have to stick with Nikon since that's the lens system i have.

so I'm just wondering if its worth it to save up and get a D300 or stick with the one i have. im not worried about lens compatibility, i have three at the moment; the kit 18-70 f3.5-5.6, a 70-300 f4.5-5.6 vr, and a tokina 17 f3.5 (awesome fun for those off hand shots).

as for what i shoot....well I'm trying to get into the business so I'm trying to shoot anything i can on my own. I'm naturally inclined to landscapes and wild life. i really haven't shot anything more than those two areas. but I'm eager to practice everything.

I've looked at the d90 and find that it feels too small in my hand and found the layout confusing at best.

I'm largely not concerned with either being full frame currently. i enjoy the telephoto shots of birds and such, but understand that it can be a nuisance for wide shots.

Questions, comments, poking fun, suggestions are welcome.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: shopping for a new camera

Quote Originally Posted by starsage56 View Post
    sorry canon fans, but I'm going to have to stick with Nikon since that's the lens system i have.
    That's OK - we "save" as many as we can, but we can't save 'em all!

Real Name
    Keith

ahah well blame canon for losing me. the cameras that were in my price range at the time i hated the feel of. they felt so small and flimsy.

Quote Originally Posted by starsage56 View Post

I've looked at the d90 and find that it feels too small in my hand and found the layout confusing at best.
    If you add a battery grip to the D90 you will find it a lot different, and if you find the layout confusing just wait till you play around with the D300.

Seriously with either one, or for that matter any new camera, there is an expected learning curve before you become familiar with the controls, and coming from a D70 you won't have much trouble. On the other hand, switching to Canon from a Nikon is like learning a foreign language, no joke.

Real Name
    Keith

i actually did play with a d300 and loved the layout, go figure right? thats true, i hadnt thought about adding a grip to the 90, i wish i could to my 70... i might have to go play with them both again.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post
    On the other hand, switching to Canon from a Nikon is like learning a foreign language, no joke.
    I have an (untested) theory that anyone would probably get used to either platform with enough "hands on" time.

I find that with the 1Ds3 I've actually learned to do most things just by feel (often it's dark when I'm shooting, plus I usually don't have my reading glasses handy!).

Hi,
    I made the jump from D70, D50 to D300. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!!

D90 does have the never used movie option and a slightly less noisy sensor.
    But for the ultra fast AF and FPS, and the solid body my vote is to D300.

BTW, rumor has it, D300s is coming out in sept.

The D300 and the D90 is basically the same camera....BUT....your D70s uses CF cards while the D90 uses SD. I would recommend that you go with the D300 unless you want to buy new memory cards.

I bought my son a used D70s so he could use my CF cards, and it's an awesome camera for him to begin with. I'm a freelance sports and documentary photographer. My working Nikon bodies are the D3, D700, and emergency (plus additional reach) D300 as backup.

I place the D90 more of a camera for an avid photographer who likes to tweak images on board the camera, and not want to spend a lot of time in Ps. Who more or less does a lot of still work and likes taking movies. It's also lighter and more convenient to travel with, also if speed (fps) is not a big concern for you.

While the D300 is more for the advanced amateur to pro level working camera. It's literally a "working camera" because the need for speed, agility, and advanced accuracy. A camera that literally grows with you as your skills advances and in Ps as well. It would also make sense if you one day wish to upgrade to a D700 once you've mastered this camera, or stay where you are. The vertical battery grip is compatible with both bodies so that's a plus too.

Always invest in the best quality lenses that you can afford, and not the bodies in the long run. It's never about mega pixels. Bodies will come and go but the lenses will always be with you from body to body.

Well Amberglass, I'd be quite happy if my D90 didn't have any onboard picture adjustments or video. Like a lot of D90 users I shoot nothing but RAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post
    Well Amberglass, I'd be quite happy if my D90 didn't have any onboard picture adjustments or video. Like a lot of D90 users I shoot nothing but RAW.
    Oh don't get me wrong, Bill. Both cameras are great. But it always boils down to what's within your budget and where you see yourself 7-8 years down the line in regards to photography.

can anyone tell me is it wise to change my Nikon D80 to D90 or D300 and what kind of len(s) should I consider to go with it? Thanks.
    Last edited by kawan; 15th July 2009 at 09:27 PM.

having used the d70 for some time the change to a d 200 was a welcome change ......if you have the 6,000 plus the d3x is the way to go with the extra megapixals night and low light are very easy 24 + mps!!!!! .....most agencies ive dealt with dont want anything under 6 mps......a big precentage of 3000 shots in india were not to their technical standards ( 48 + mb at 100%)w/ the d 70
    ............a very good friend , annie katz has a web site anniekatzphotography
    and she has used the d200 for her early stuff and is now using the d 300/x series.....the subjects you are talking about are pretty much her forte .....you might take a look and see what a nikkon up grade can do......also if you are looking for some industry standards
    that will pretty much cover most agencies alamy has a check list that will be of great assistance......
    good shooting
    Last edited by dennis campbell; 19th July 2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: misspleled

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by dennis campbell View Post
    having used the d70 for some time the change to a d 200 was a welcome change ......if you have the 6,000 plus the d3x is the way to go with the extra megapixals night and low light are very easy 24 + mps!!!!! .....most agencies ive dealt with dont want anything under 6 mps......a big precentage of 3000 shots in india were not to their technical standards ( 48 + mb at 100%)w/ the d 70
    ............a very good friend , annie katz has a web site anniekatzphotography
    and she has used the d200 for her early stuff and is now using the d 300/x series.....the subjects you are talking about are pretty much her forte .....you might take a look and see what a nikkon up grade can do......also if you are looking for some industry standards
    that will pretty much cover most agencies alamy has a check list that will be of great assistance......
    good shooting
    Has anyone got any more comments to make on this old thread.
    I was wondering about getting another Nikon body to go with my existing lenses.
    I have a D70s that has had about 23000 shots taken.

When I decide I will probably look for a good used one.

Real Name
    Mark

robin this is 3 years old! start a new one!! but if your staying DX then the D7000 second hand would be your best bet. the others are starting to get a little old and service might not be available for much longer

Real Name
    Robin

Fair comment, but I found this thread by googling my question and I thought reviving it would be as good as starting a new one.

Real Name
    Andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    robin this is 3 years old! start a new one!! but if your staying DX then the D7000 second hand would be your best bet. the others are starting to get a little old and service might not be available for much longer
    I agree!
    I used a D300 for years and it is really a great camera. Probably one of the best made by Nikon. But it is old.
    This does not changes a good camera into a bad camera, but buying old cameras you may end up with service problem. Consider also that the new rush towards FX sensor has made the D300/D300s the end of the line of this semi-pro camera. At the moment there are no serious rumors about a D400. My wife has a D7000 which is also a good camera. Consider that both D300 and D7000 have a magnesium alloy body, the D90 has a plastic body. The D7000 is newer, and still at the top of DX Nikon camera, the D300 has been replaced by the D300s.
    The main difference between the two is the size and commands, the D300 being a little bigger than the D7000. So you should take both of them into your hands and compare. About commands you will find differences with the D70 in either cases. Probably the D7000 is closer to the D70. Despite I really love my D300 IMHO at the present I would consider the D7000, unless you really need some specific D300 features such as 51 vs 39 focus points or the possibility of 4x4 vs 2 user-programmable settings or, you are comfortable with it
    Last edited by kris; 25th October 2012 at 07:37 AM.

Real Name
    Mark

Thats cool Robin, which ever way your comfortable. what are you into shooting? might help us give advice if you let us know what you will use it for.

Real Name
    Robin

I am a relative newbie.
    Mostly a lot of point and shoot, but not totally.
    I do motorsport photography, (hobbyist) and try to get proper speedshots, with the blur in the background, and crisp car in the pic with spinning wheels.

I also try to do landscape and seascape shots, some macro shots of flowers etc,
    and of course shots of the grandchildren!

I bought my camera new, to loan to a friend who took 20,000 shots, and then I got the camera back from loan. So SLR is new to me, as are manual settings, depth of fields, aperture and speed settings.

I do my motorsport shots at 80-100. (speed)
    Lower than 80 and I get nothing! well nothing in focus.
    Last edited by rawill; 26th October 2012 at 05:40 AM.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Keith,

You will be thrilled with a D300. If a used camera suits your budget and that is what you like, do it. As long as the camera has been taken good care of and is in a very good condition. As far as service is concerned, I tend to believe as long as you have a Nikon the Nikon guys will service it. ( In South Africa that is the case.)