Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wild Red Columbine

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Wild Red Columbine

…is also known as the Eastern Red Columbine and is a member of the Buttercup Family. I found this one on a walk through the Landsford Canal State Park, SC. This one was about 3 CM long.

This beautiful woodland wildflower has showy, drooping, bell-like flowers equipped with distinctly backward-pointing tubes. These tubes, or spurs, contain nectar that attracts long-tongued insects and hummingbirds especially adapted for reaching the sweet secretion. It is reported that Native Americans rubbed the crushed seeds on the hands of men as a love charm.

Seeds from this plant have been used to treat ailments such as headaches, sore throats, stomatitis, heart problems, skin rash or itch caused by poison ivy, kidney and urinary problems, and fever. They have also been used for ceremonial medicines, perfume, and as additives to tobacco. Roots of this plant can be used to treat gastrointestinal ailments.

Wild Red Columbine

To me, the spider webs add realism but does it detract from the image? In other words, should this image be more realistic or more artistic?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Wild Red Columbine

Nice shot Frank. I like the simplicity and the soft pastel colours. I think I would leave the main spider web on the left hand side but possibly clone out the other small "bits".

Oh and can you send some of those seeds over here please ?

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    To me, the spider webs add realism but does it detract from the image? In other words, should this image be more realistic or more artistic?
    When I shoot a flower, I'd rather it wasn't covered in web and insect remains because it distracts from the artistic image as you say Frank.

Often it isn't possible to clone them out - at least it isn't in the examples in my garden - but then it is, how shall I say, a "natural environment"

If I knew the answer, I'd shoot more flowers perhaps.

These are quite 'clone-able' and you wouldn't know, so with this, if mine, I would place art above realism.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thanks for the comments Dave(s). I think I'll go artistic.

Seeds? Hmmmm. A gardener I take it. OK, take a look here: http://www.easywildflowers.com/quality/aqu.canad.htm

This is a significant crop so I have plenty of real estate to play with. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned if it should be a portrait crop and I wasn't sure. Perhaps the cropping is fine as it is?

Real Name
    randy

I think this is probably the first wildflower that I learned; as a child I would nip the tips off the spurs, like candy.

Real Name
    John

Wild Red Columbine

I have had that conversation several times lately. I tend towards the realistic. "If it's in front of the lens..." But by having the question raised in some of my photos, it has made me more aware of the distractions these things pose. Still, I'm not good enough at photoshop to take them out, so I guess realistic will be my mantra for the forseeable future

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thanks for the feedback Randy and John. Using the Clone Tool in Photoshop is just a matter of giving it a try. You can't hurt anything and it doesn't take much to get the hang of it.

I went the artistic route, took out the spider webs and thought I'd try the portrait orientation. Any better - or worse?

Wild Red Columbine

Real Name

I went the artistic route, took out the spider webs and thought I'd try the portrait orientation. Any better - or worse?
    Better, but now the grey twig in the background looks like a swipe across with the desaturation tool.

I'd also move it slightly left by cropping 10% off left hand edge - it just looks too central at the moment.

Never satisfied, am I?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Never satisfied, am I?
    Obtaining perfection is not being satisfied to accept anything less than the best. I'll give it a try! Thanks for the feedback, Dave!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Better, but now the grey twig in the background looks like a swipe across with the desaturation tool.

I'd also move it slightly left by cropping 10% off left hand edge - it just looks too central at the moment.
    A bit more like this?

Wild Red Columbine

Real Name
    John

Thanks for the feedback Randy and John. Using the Clone Tool in Photoshop is just a matter of giving it a try. You can't hurt anything and it doesn't take much to get the hang of it.

Gotta admit it looks better. :-)

Real Name

A bit more like this?
    Yep