Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Carpentry Tools Still Life

Real Name
    Nigel

Carpentry Tools Still Life

Finally found some time to upload a few pictures.
    These are some still-life pictures taken in my friend's carpentry workshop.
    Off camera flash
    550D
    Manual
    Custom white balance
    ISO 200
    1/200
    F8
    Old Canon 540EZ flash in manual from the right fired through a white umbrella
    Nikon Speedlite SBsomething in manual from the left at the height of the bench set to a lower power

This first picture also has a third flash (an old Metz) from the front fired through a white umbrella

C&C welcomed and appreciated.
    Thanks for looking.

I am also trying to think 'square'
    Last edited by CougarFool; 28th April 2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added white balance details

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Carpentry Tools Still Life

Hi Nigel,

I don't feel qualified to comment on the lighting, so bear that in mind when I say what I see ...

They are all quite 'busy' and look 'arranged' for the tools and their shapes rather than, as the shavings would suggest, being part of a carpentry work in progress.

#1 is the best IMHO, largely because it is 'fully lit'; #2 and #3 look too 'front right lit at a low angle' to be a working area
    in #3 the source is a bit too close I think (judged by fall off across the image)

I find the hole, or knot, by the red pencil a distraction

The plane resting on its blade is a bit of a "no-no" (as I was brought up) - and of course I never do that

If you, or someone was actually using the tools, it might be nice to see what is being worked on?

You have avoided multiple strong shadows with the lighting.

Not sure if that's any help just a collection of random, mostly negative, comments
    Lets try adding some 'positives';
    WB looks good to me, #1 being more lit, looks warmer, as it probably should.
    The focus and DoF 'feels' about right, in other words - I don't find myself distracted by wanting to see some bits sharper than they are.

Cheers,

This basically shows off the tools successfully, although to me the shavings possibly appear a little unnatural and too tidy.

And it is OK to place a plane upright on the workbench providing the cutting blade has been retracted. Which should be standard practice for storing tools anyway.

Real Name
    Nigel

Thank you Dave and Geoff.
    This was my first proper attempt at a still-life and it was more difficult than I thought! Yes, I arranged the tools and the shavings (fresh pine - what a lovely smell) to try and get a pleasing arrangement. The whole of the bench is covered in those holes and I missed covering that one up.

It was the carpenter who stood the plane up so I guessed it was OK!

Thanks again for your helpful comments.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

I like these images Nigel. I think they have a nice warm "old world" feel to them. But I am a bit biased because I do a bit of woodworking myself.

Dave

Real Name
    Nigel

Thanks Dave. It certainly is a fascinating workshop. Lots of potential for more pictures coming up.