Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better Half

Real Name
    Terry

Better Half

Wife, Mother, Grandma, Best Friend, Child of God, Devil’s Advocate, Marathon Runner, cancer Survivor, Inspiration and Light…

She wears many hats.

Shot walking the Trail of Life.

Since she deserves the Very Best I can give her any and all comments and advice will be happily considered!

Better Half

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Better Half

Hi Terry,
    That looks pretty good to me. The only minor thing that I might adjust is the way her sleeve sticks up in her face. This is entirely subjective. I like the photo. I guess this doesn't help much

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Wife, Mother, Grandma, Best Friend, Child of God, Devil’s Advocate, Marathon Runner, cancer Survivor, Inspiration and Light…

She wears many hats.

Shot walking the Trail of Life.

Since she deserves the Very Best I can give her any and all comments and advice will be happily considered!

Better Half
    You are a very very lucky man!

Real Name
    Toño

Terry

Very nice picture!

I really like the selection of the location. The texture of the rocks she is resting on and the sharpness of the eyes and face work very well.

I like it =)

Toño

Real Name
    Nigel

A beautiful picture. Lovely composition, sharp and good exposure. What a lady: a true inspiration.

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

A super portrait of a beautiful woman; her spirit shines out through her eyes.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Looks great to me Terry,

Just a couple of minor points I'd change (personally)

1. A subtle vignette will give the illusion of targeted lighting

2. The hair is slightly over-sharpened

Better Half

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Hi Terry,
    That looks pretty good to me. The only minor thing that I might adjust is the way her sleeve sticks up in her face. This is entirely subjective. I like the photo. I guess this doesn't help much
    Hi Brian,

It helps a lot, actually. It never ceases to amaze me what I miss! I'm not sure the sleeve could be convincingly "fixed" in post. Maybe. But I see this as something I should have maybe noticed before I pulled the trigger. I see your comment as a reminder (and I need as many as I can get) that you just can't watch close enough for the details.

Thank you, Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Radu Dinu Cordeanu View Post
    You are a very very lucky man!
    Indeed, Radu! I have no idea what she sees in me, but sometimes its best not to dwell!

Thank you, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by acsky View Post
    Terry

Very nice picture!

I really like the selection of the location. The texture of the rocks she is resting on and the sharpness of the eyes and face work very well.

I like it =)
    Thank you, Toño. Its a great and newly discovered location. Lots of room for multiple victims as well. The "posing" rock and the background bluff about 15-20 feet away. Seems tailor made! I hope to get back a lot more, but its about a quarter mile trek on the Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by gilliebg View Post
    A super portrait of a beautiful woman; her spirit shines out through her eyes.
    Man, thank you, Gillie! And a beautiful compliment on both. Her Light Shines!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Looks great to me Terry,

Just a couple of minor points I'd change (personally)

1. A subtle vignette will give the illusion of targeted lighting

2. The hair is slightly over-sharpened
    As always I sure appreciate your comments, Colin. It means a lot.

I can't seem to get her hair right. It has capture sharpening only. I think it may be some combination of the hair texture/color that keeps me off balance! Great idea on the vignette, of course. I have one on the original but I think I may have cropped it away when I decided to post it here for comment.

I asked for minimal makeup because I read your "One Quarter Less Makeup" Theory! Which I am finding makes perfect sense. And I find it ironic (at least from the subject's standpoint) as well due to the very reasons you mentioned. Even the Better Half mentioned how much she liked the effect of "less is more".

Interestingly, at least to me, this shot opened a discussion between myself and the Better Half regarding post production and how much retouching should be done.

When I get a minute, I may recount the discussion, mention another shoot where I was asked to retouch relatively heavily, and see what opinions may be out there!
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 28th April 2012 at 10:34 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Details, details! We both have that same challenge.
    A wonderful photo nonetheless.

Real Name

As always I sure appreciate your comments, Colin. It means a lot.

I can't seem to get her hair right. It has capture sharpening only. I think it may be some combination of the hair texture/color that keeps me off balance! Great idea on the vignette, of course. I have one on the original but I think I may have cropped it away when I decided to post it here for comment.

I asked for minimal makeup because I read your "One Quarter Less Makeup" Theory! Which I am finding makes perfect sense. And I find it ironic (at least from the subject's standpoint) as well due to the very reasons you mentioned. Even the Better Half mentioned how much she liked the effect of "less is more".

Interestingly, at least to me, this shot opened a discussion between myself and the Better Half regarding post production and how much retouching should be done.

When I get a minute, I may recount the discussion, mention another shoot where I was asked to retouch relatively heavily, and see what opinions may be out there!
    Hi Terry,

You're very welcome. I've often wondered how your good lady way doing, but have to admit to being a little afraid to ask.

Something's not right here - it looks like there is a LOT more sharpening being applied that standard capture sharpening (assuming that the image hasn't been ridiculosly cropped). Can you just confirm that the capture sharpening you applied was in the region of 0.3px @ 250 to 300%? And was applied to the FULL RESOLUTION image (and not to the cropped and/or down-sampled image?).

On a side note, just wondering if you realize how far your photography has come in the past couple of years ... 'about time we sent you your School of Portraiture graduation papers!

Better Half

Better Half

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Terry, a stunning woman and a fantastic portrait. The sleeve is a little imperfection but I only noticed when it was pointed out, well done.

Real Name
    Andrew

An amazing photo Terry. She sounds like an amazing woman. I think you've done her justice. Thanks very much for showing this to all of us!

Real Name
    Richard

Lovely image of a stunningly attractive lady. The sleeve is but a minor thing in an otherwise swell picture.

Real Name
    Paul

Not wanting to be the broken record here Terry, lets just say I agree! Well done on all accounts.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by CougarFool View Post
    A beautiful picture. Lovely composition, sharp and good exposure. What a lady: a true inspiration.
    Nigel, thank you sir. I'm not entirely sure a bad shot of her is possible. Well, at least to me!

Quote Originally Posted by WJT View Post
    Terry, a stunning woman and a fantastic portrait. The sleeve is a little imperfection but I only noticed when it was pointed out, well done.
    Thank you so much Wayne.

Brian has a good eye! I was just hoping to get the shot when she shined at me. She lit me up with that Thousand Watt Smile and I pulled the trigger and hoped to God I was close! When I picked myself up off the ground, I secretly chimped it! Never noticed the sleeve either!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    An amazing photo Terry. She sounds like an amazing woman. I think you've done her justice. Thanks very much for showing this to all of us!
    Thank you for taking the time to comment, Andrew. I'm going to tell her what you all have said about her.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Lovely image of a stunningly attractive lady. The sleeve is but a minor thing in an otherwise swell picture.
    Richard? Your opinion and advice is always right on. Thank you for giving it so freely to me and everyone. And I know I speak for a lot of folks here.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Not wanting to be the broken record here Terry, lets just say I agree! Well done on all accounts.
    Thank you, Paul. Probably the only thing I ever did worth a darn was making her a Bride! Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes!

Hi Terry,

You're very welcome. I've often wondered how your good lady way doing, but have to admit to being a little afraid to ask.
    Hi Colin!

If there was something I have done or said that made you hesitate if you wanted to do otherwise, you have my most sincere apologies. We are not afraid and there is absolutely no reason for anyone else to be. Maybe I was out of line, but I wasn’t afraid to tell you up front. Just a feeling I had, and I wasn’t wrong (for a change)!

That you would help me get a nice shot or two of her means the World. You have done that and I am afraid I will never be able to properly thank you and the Great Folks here who have limped me along.

Something's not right here - it looks like there is a LOT more sharpening being applied that standard capture sharpening (assuming that the image hasn't been ridiculosly cropped). Can you just confirm that the capture sharpening you applied was in the region of 0.3px @ 250 to 300%? And was applied to the FULL RESOLUTION image (and not to the cropped and/or down-sampled image?).
    I can confirm 0.3px @ 300% full res on opening from ACR before anything else. I wonder if it may be my laziness on downsizing to post that may be causing some issues. I try to use the recommended procedure to post. Results are not necessarily consistent. Mostly different than what I am seeing in my editing bay. The upside is that it keeps me looking at the full res to make sure to take all advice received. Continuous review of the workflow is always good for me!

On a side note, just wondering if you realize how far your photography has come in the past couple of years ... 'about time we sent you your School of Portraiture graduation papers!
    Colin that is one hell of a thing for you to say to me. And I doubt you will ever know what it means to me that you did. But the thought never really occurs to me, however. I’m way too busy seeing the quality photography posted here and wondering what I can do to come close to that!

I remember mentioning to one of your better and more prospective students that I had the dubious distinction of being the only photographer in CiC to fail the School of Portraiture! Though you did your very best to bring me along!

I have a Theory. No one’s Life is ever truly wasted! One may always serve as a Bad Example if nothing else!

I am happy to serve!

Real Name

Hi Terry,

If there was something I have done or said that made you hesitate if you wanted to do otherwise, you have my most sincere apologies. We are not afraid and there is absolutely no reason for anyone else to be. Maybe I was out of line, but I wasn’t afraid to tell you up front. Just a feeling I had, and I wasn’t wrong (for a change)!
    No, not at all. Just hoping that it wasn't a case of "things not going as well as hoped for" and thus perhaps not wanting to be reminded. Been through that scenario with a friend of mine about a year ago ... quite depressing for all.

I can confirm 0.3px @ 300% full res on opening from ACR before anything else. I wonder if it may be my laziness on downsizing to post that may be causing some issues. I try to use the recommended procedure to post. Results are not necessarily consistent. Mostly different than what I am seeing in my editing bay. The upside is that it keeps me looking at the full res to make sure to take all advice received. Continuous review of the workflow is always good for me!
    What algorithm did you use to down-sample? Bicubic sharper is what Adobe recommend, but personally I prefer Bicubic, followed by a little output sharpening.

Colin that is one hell of a thing for you to say to me. And I doubt you will ever know what it means to me that you did. But the thought never really occurs to me, however. I’m way too busy seeing the quality photography posted here and wondering what I can do to come close to that!
    You earned it! My "graduation test" is a simple one; I like to imagine the shot printed on canvas - hung on a living room wall - and the question asked: If a professional photographer had produced this, would folks have thought that it was "money well spent" (ie "did they do a good job"). If your latest image was put to that test then the answer would be "absolutely!".

Real Name
    Terry

Then I guess all there is left for me to say is "Thank You", Colin. And everyone.

Well, that and I use Bicubic with some (maybe too much in this case) output sharpening as well!

Real Name
    Brian

Well, that and I use Bicubic with some (maybe too much in this case) output sharpening as well!
    Only photo geeks would find that humorous. LOL!

Real Name
    Terry

I really gotta get a Life!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast