Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Period Acrobat

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Period Acrobat

I've been commenting on other people's work, so I guess I should post one of two of my pieces occasionally.

This image was taken at Upper Canada Village, near Morrisburg, Ontario. It is a very popular tourist site and provides a good view of life in this part of Canada in the mid-1860's. The "village" is here as a result of the construction of the St Lawrence Seaway, in the 1950s. With plans to permanently flood some of the low lying areas along theh St Lawrence River, some 40 historical buildings were relocated to this site right along side the river. These flooded former villages including Mille Roches, Aultsville and Moulinette are now known as the "lost villages" and in spite of fairly fast current and often limited visibilty, are an interesting dive site as well.

I shot this last summer when travelling circus came to the village and entertainers in period costume put on a show that would have been typical of the time. This image is of an acrobat. This is very much a chance image; I put on my f/2.8 70-200mm lens when this performer was nicely contrasted against the cloudy sky in the early afternoon. I rather like the way it turned out, in spite of the harsh light.

Period Acrobat

http://www.uppercanadavillage.com/index.cfm/en/home/
    Last edited by Manfred M; 27th April 2012 at 10:48 PM.

Real Name
    Myra

Re: Period Acrobat

Although it's a shame we can't see her face, the light, as you said, is fabulous. I love the detail in the folds of the material and all the hues of white and blue that you've captured.

Real Name
    Terry

Was wondering if you ever would, Manfred!

Very nice...

I also wonder about the "Grumpy" part!

If the shot were mine, I'd just see if darkening the background would be happy! And then see what needed to be done color wise to your Grumpy taste.

Cause its a pretty cool capture.

And I think "Grumpy" may be a misnomer!

Just a Theory!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Myra - I actuall have other pictures with her face in them, but prefer this one because it borders on the abstract.

Terry - The reason I'm grumpy is usually because I have things to do outside of my hobbies. I'll have to try darkening the background to see what it does. I was trying to blend the costume and sky; the colour balance is right on neutral and I double checked the skin tones and they are just about right.

Real Name
    Terry

I hear you knockin', Manfred!

I hate it when Life gets in the way!

But I'm just not buying the "Grumpy" thing!

Would I be out of line asking to see more of your work?