Thread: Camera Bag and sensor cleaning products/solutions

Camera Bag and sensor cleaning products/solutions

Hi all! I need a camera bag that has the following characteristics/criteria.

1. Durable and won't fray on me. At least better than [COLOR=#ccccdd]deuter bags.
    2. Weather proof
      • Dust resistant (I'm allergic to dust so I don't want to bring dust back to my room).
      • Water proof?
      • Easy to wash and clean.
    3. Able to hold memory cards and preferably located on the flap/lid for easy access.
    4. Able to hold 2 rather short (physical) lens. I don't have those mammoth f/0.1 90000mm lens.
    5. Need not hold more than 1 camera body.
    6. Tripod holder so it does not swing around.
    I am still undecided on what type of bag I should use; a waist, sling-over-the-shoulder type or a backpack. Are there any websites that compare the advantage and disadvantage of each form factor? I would think that a sling back is ideal for me, as I don't have multiple bodies, lenses, flashes etc. Also, between a sling and waist, a sling should provide more comfort and stability.

Please advice! Thanks.

I also need a good wet and dry sensor cleaning product. I want the best possible. Space is not a concern for the wet one

[COLOR=#ccccdd]Thom Hogan suggest the following:

[COLOR=#ccccdd]Photographic Solutions Sensor Swabs and Eclipse or E2 solution
    The original commercial wet cleaning solution evolved into a good basic tool that can be relied upon. When I need a wet cleaning, this is what I use.
    [COLOR=#ccccdd]Visible Dust Sensor Brush
    The Econo 1.6x kit is all you really need for dry cleaning a Nikon DSLR (plus some good canned air). It's also worth getting the Sensor Brush Wash to keep your brush in top shape. 10/29/07: it appears that Visible Dust is getting out of the plain brush business. Note that I have reservatins about the Arctic Butterfly, though I use it for some travel. I haven't used all the other plain brushes that are available, so you're currently on your own for a brush recommendation if you can't find the Econo 1.6x kit.
    [COLOR=#ccccdd]Dust Aid Ultra Clean solution
    A slightly better solution than Eclipse or E2 for those that travel, as it can be transported without issue and does a good job of cleaning without streaks.
    *I don't know why the hyperlinks in the quote are not being underlined.
    The bag and cleaning product bunddled with the camera are: Lowepro Rezo 190 bag and lenspen Digiklear. Are they any good?
    Last edited by Blazing fire; 5th July 2009 at 03:55 AM.

Re: Camera Bag and sensor cleaning products/solutions

i suggest going to a camera store and looking for yourself in person and talking to pros that work there...

PS never use canned air inside your camera body...u can dislodge your mirror and then you are in for an exspensive repair...Dont use a vacumn cleaner either... a simple hand pump blower works fine...

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely have a look at the bags before I buy them. But I wish to narrow down my search first so please advice!

I don't want a bag with feels good, has a well thought-out design but poor in durability. While it is true the quality of material can be felt, I rather not chance it, especially if I'm not an expert in this .

I shall use a hand pump blower

I finally bit the bullet and bought a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 50 bag earlier this month. Not cheap, but definitely worth the money imo.

i use a national geographic bag...I bought it used online...I bought the small which I actually thought was the medium bag but the seller thought it was medium too....I am not dissapointed.it has 4 large exterior pockets and two inside areas that can be connected and one small laptop pouch built it...My only complaint is that the shoulder straps are over padded and the pack is not comfortable unless its used as a single strap pack which is what i do..I only paid 45.00 USD so I am not complaining.

After a bit of debating and procrastination about getting a good camera bag I eventually opted for a Lowenpro Mini Trekker, widely available. The spacious main section has adjustable velcro internal divisions which can be moved around or removed as required and strong tripod holder straps. The smaller front pocket has several smaller sections for those little items.

Well constructed, comfortable backpack which is sufficient for all those essential items.

Camera Bag and sensor cleaning products/solutions

It all depends on what you prefer, for trips I use a LowePro AW trekker backpack as a travel locker, and use a Tamrac shoulder bag to walk around with. The LowePro Stealth shoulder bags are nice too.

Do not use canned air, the Nitrogen liquid propellant can damage the sensor. A medium Giottos rocket blower works great and a soft synthetic craft brush to size of mirror is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbythebeach View Post
    i suggest going to a camera store and looking for yourself in person and talking to pros that work there...

PS never use canned air inside your camera body...u can dislodge your mirror and then you are in for an exspensive repair...Dont use a vacumn cleaner either... a simple hand pump blower works fine...
    Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    It all depends on what you prefer, for trips I use a LowePro AW trekker backpack as a travel locker, and use a Tamrac shoulder bag to walk around with. The LowePro Stealth shoulder bags are nice too.

Do not use canned air, the Nitrogen liquid propellant can damage the sensor. A medium Giottos rocket blower works great and a soft synthetic craft brush to size of mirror is all you need.
    Okay! I won't use a canned air. Am I right to say that the main (I don't care much for the rocket design) difference between a Giottos rocket blower and a normal one is the presence of a valve in the nozzle which prevents dust from sucking back?

Speaking of blowers, look at this insanely priced $40 blower from "visibleDust". I don't know who in the right mind buys them.

For wet cleaning, I shall use photograhicsolution's Sensor Swabs and E2 liquid Pricing.

For dry cleaning, dust aid's platinum and cleaning strips (for the brush). I think this is better than a brush because there is minimal dragging, and thom hogan thinks it's good. Price.

I'll look at visible dust too.

Back to the camera bags.

The thinktank seem to be a very renown brand, synonymous with quality. I especially like the urban disguise series due to its inconspicuous looks.

The Lowenpro Mini Trekker recommended by Geoff F also seems very nice, with big spacious interior, and a tripod holder.

The other thing I'm concerned about is the strap. Which is a good padded strap which does not slide off easily, and is made up of a good, durable material?
    Last edited by Blazing fire; 11th July 2009 at 12:18 AM.

LowePros have great very comfy padded straps; they originally made camping gear so your answer is "yes". Very durable and many of their bags and packs comes with raincoats, tucked away on the bottom of outside. I also own a ThinkTank urban disguise bag for my strobe gear and brackets.

The perfect camera bag is kinda like the hunt for the holy grail. I have 4 bags for various amounts of gear. If you have a well stocked camera shop near by that stocks the brands you want, it's best to go in and physical play around with them.

The Mini Trekker cost me around £70 after shopping around some of the reliable internet outlets. Here, on the coast, it just looks like another rambler's bag containing a spare pair of hiking boots, flask of coffee and sandwiches so doesn't attract any unwelcome attention.

Internal sizes, approx, 15 x 11 x 5 ins. Very well padded and comfortable to wear. Also has a top carrying handle which I find very useful. Lots of straps, buckles and zips which make it look like a bit of serious S&M gear, but the breast and belly straps produce a strain free walk over rough terrain. Everything is easily adjustable.

Real Name
    Keith

hah wow, thats exactly the bag i was going to suggest. i have one and love it. it holds everything i have plus spares and extra emergency items. carry my gorrila pod on the bottom, rope, plastic bag, gators in the outer zipper pocket.

One more vote for the LowePro Mini Trekker. I used this one for 3 years, before my collection (see signature ) expanded and I ran out of room. Now I have upgraded to this one from Moose Peterson. I got this one for a steal from none other than Thom Hogan when he was doing his spring cleaning earlier last month. I love this bag, but based on what you said about not wanting something that will hold f/0.1 90000mm lenses this might be an overkill for you

Cheers!
    Sai
    Flickr
    Last edited by Sai C; 9th July 2009 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    LowePros have great very comfy padded straps; they originally made camping gear so your answer is "yes". Very durable and many of their bags and packs comes with raincoats, tucked away on the bottom of outside. I also own a ThinkTank urban disguise bag for my strobe gear and brackets.

The perfect camera bag is kinda like the hunt for the holy grail. I have 4 bags for various amounts of gear. If you have a well stocked camera shop near by that stocks the brands you want, it's best to go in and physical play around with them.
    Thanks for mentioning that!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    The Mini Trekker cost me around £70 after shopping around some of the reliable internet outlets. Here, on the coast, it just looks like another rambler's bag containing a spare pair of hiking boots, flask of coffee and sandwiches so doesn't attract any unwelcome attention.

Internal sizes, approx, 15 x 11 x 5 ins. Very well padded and comfortable to wear. Also has a top carrying handle which I find very useful. Lots of straps, buckles and zips which make it look like a bit of serious S&M gear, but the breast and belly straps produce a strain free walk over rough terrain. Everything is easily adjustable.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsage56 View Post
    hah wow, thats exactly the bag i was going to suggest. i have one and love it. it holds everything i have plus spares and extra emergency items. carry my gorrila pod on the bottom, rope, plastic bag, gators in the outer zipper pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sai C View Post
    One more vote for the LowePro Mini Trekker. I used this one for 3 years, before my collection (see signature ) expanded and I ran out of room. Now I have upgraded to this one from Moose Peterson. I got this one for a steal from none other than Thom Hogan when he was doing his spring cleaning earlier last month. I love this bag, but based on what you said about not wanting something that will hold f/0.1 90000mm lenses this might be an overkill for you

Cheers!
    Sai
    Flickr
    Wow! The lowepro's mini trekker is unanimous. I'll have a look at that in the shop.

@Sai, I don't see your sig anywhere! And good lord, that's a luggage!

Hey BlazingFire,

I didn't have a signature y'day, as I was told that I had to have a min. of 5 posts, which I believe I have now. Let me know if you still don't see my signature..I have included everything, well not quite, that I carry in my "luggage"

Cheers!
    Sai

Flickr

I still don't see your sig. I only see
    Cheers!
    Sai

Flickr
    I don't suppose that's your sig?

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing fire View Post
    I still don't see your sig. I only see

I don't suppose that's your sig?
    No, that's pretty weird, guess one of the moderators has to take a look at it perhaps? The signature is visible to me, wonder why it wouldn't be visible to others

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sai C View Post
    No, that's pretty weird, guess one of the moderators has to take a look at it perhaps? The signature is visible to me, wonder why it wouldn't be visible to others
    There's a setting in each users control panel that allows signatures to be seen or to be turned off. It's been turned on by default for new members for a few months now, but older members need to turn it on manually (or I can do it for them).