Thread: Night bloom

Real Name
    Sharon

Night bloom

Night bloom

Real Name
    Nigel

Re: Night bloom

Very nice Sharon. I like the tone of it. A good image to stick in your portfolio.

Real Name
    Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by CougarFool View Post
    Very nice Sharon. I like the tone of it. A good image to stick in your portfolio.
    For my own edification, Nigel, I am curious as to what you find so striking about this image as to suggest it as a portfolio piece. This is not to disparage Sharon's image for the sake of ridiculing an image I do not not personally care for but rather to understand how others perceive imagery. I belong to several different forums and in each, I find an interesting differentiation of viewer's views. I think the more I can begin to understand human nature as to what makes them go soft inside, the better images I can present for sale.
    My apologies to Sharon in advance for using her image to ask this question. Beauty is indeed in the beholder's eye. I just want to better understand that eye.

Real Name
    Sharon

My apologies to Sharon in advance for using her image to ask this question. Beauty is indeed in the beholder's eye. I just want to better understand that eye.
    As I assume it is not merely Nigel's sense of aesthetic you wish to explore but a more general quest for what prompts people to find one thing attractive and another not then yes, I feel you could more appropriately have started a thread on Aesthetics In the 'General Photography Discussion section and got more responses and certainly more representative ones that singling out my thread to raise this.

However, my back is broad and I will forgive you for hi-jacking my thread and attempt to give you some sort of answer

Personally I like all feedback and thank Nigel for taking the time out to look and comment. If, to him, this particular photograph merits inclusion in any portfolio I were to put together then I take that as a compliment.

What actually does end up in such a portfolo depends on my judgement and what moves me emotionally. Perhaps Nigel has fond memories of his family rose garden in the evening whereas you got stung by a bee in yours ......maybe he likes purple and you like green? A million things go to make up our response to an image apart from the technical aspects of composition etc.

I too belong to other forums and am aware that what can be raved about on one can be disliked on another.

Folk are different.....simple as that!
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 25th April 2012 at 07:50 AM.

Real Name
    Johnny

Actually, my reasoning for hijacking your thread was that it had 60 views and no responses until Nigel's. For that, I wondered what he was seeing that perhaps the rest of us had not. It is a question I have about many images, this one just came to be the one I explored. I am not sure that any one place in a forum is the "only" place one can ask questions, create a thread interest, or simply to make a casual comment, even though this comment was more directed; it was directed specifically to Nigel.

Real Name
    Sharon

Should you wish to adress questions specifically to Nigel or anyone else can I suggest that you use the really effective Private messaging system that exists here.

Otherwise you run the risk of looking as though you are snidely trying to point out that my pic got no comments and I am quite sure that you would never be so rude or inconsiderate.

Now if you will excuse me. I really have no more to say on the subject and as ever there is work to be done.

Cheers.

Real Name
    Johnny

Your back may be broad, but me thinks your skin a bit thin...I shall refrain from ever commenting on your work again...I am neither rude, nor inconsiderate but I am ever inquizitive and that I shall never stop...tsk-tsk, oh kids, let's stop this bickering...

Real Name
    Sharon

You sound so familiar......somehow.,the wording and phrasing,,

I'll get it in i a moment.....chris? Could it be you?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    You sound so familiar......somehow.,the wording and phrasing,,

I'll get it in i a moment.....chris? Could it be you?
    Now that is funny!!! (sorry chris , but it did make me laugh out loud)

Real Name
    Nigel

Johnny,
    I have only just seen the replies to this thread. I will respond here to, hopefully, round off the discussion.
    As Sharon has said: everyone has a different opinion and sees things differently. That is, of course, a very good thing!

I liked the image because:
    It was not a run-of-the-mill picture.
    It was a subject that I would have walked past and not seen the potential of.
    I like the composition.
    I like the tone and colour
    I really like the whole 'feel' of the image.

I think it would be worthy of sticking in a portfolio because:
    The above reasons.
    In the camera club I used to frequent it would have attracted good, positive comments and possibly a good score in a competition.

But finally, and most importantly: I like it!

Real Name
    Johnny

And this is all the response I was looking for...a simple explanation of what you saw, why and in a small way, what you look for in an image. This does help in how others might look at something they might otherwise pass by and perhaps take a shot of their own. Thank you for your response.

Real Name
    Mary

I like the image als0--because it reminds me of the "points" on a conch shell- I love those shells!

Real Name
    Sharon

Thank you Mary..you are so right they are so tactile with their points and sweeping smooth lines between.