Thread: NIK software from Bongobytes.com

Real Name
    Ronny Geenen

NIK software from Bongobytes.com

Does any of you have experience with http://www.bongobytes.com and NIK software?
    It looks like it does not matter what kind of picture you take, that software is able to correct every detail and make it very nice. The software was demonstrated at a photo expo in Pasadena, California and I was there today.
    If you have experience with it, is it easy to use or does it needs a hard learning curve or is it as simple as Topaz Labs?

Real Name
    Russell

Re: NIK software from Bongobytes.com

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

Ronny,

Nik have plenty of training materials on their web site. Their software has a learning curve but all packages use the same type of controls. I have found them straight forward to use as is Topaz. Some sites have discount codes for the whole suite. Try stuckincustoms.com 10% off I think or other HDR Based sites. Captain Kimo is another.

Regards

David

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    It looks like it does not matter what kind of picture you take, that software is able to correct every detail and make it very nice.
    That's called marketing.

There is still no substitute for mastering the art and craft of capturing a photograph well and correctly. Software is and can only ever be, a tool to help the competent photographer finish his or her creative process. It will never make a fine art product out of something that was poor to start with.

Real Name
    Ronny Geenen

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That's called marketing.

There is still no substitute for mastering the art and craft of capturing a photograph well and correctly. Software is and can only ever be, a tool to help the competent photographer finish his or her creative process. It will never make a fine art product out of something that was poor to start with.

For how long? I have the feeling that within a 5 years period software is going to control the photography world by altering, modifying, merging and what other options there would be to give it a total different perfect look.
    The photographer becomes the software artist.
    I already notice in the mini competions that those who knows how to work with photoshop have a better change than the person who just submit a picture without any modifications.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    For how long? I have the feeling that within a 5 years period software is going to control the photography world by altering, modifying, merging and what other options there would be to give it a total different perfect look.
    The photographer becomes the software artist.
    I think your last sentence is correct, Ronny. If anyone feels they can take a poor photograph and turn it into a work of fine art, good photojournalism, excellent wildlife or documentary image(which I will always argue is impossible), then the activity has ceased to be photography and is something else altogether. It may require skill and knowledge. But, for me, it would not be photography.
    Last edited by Donald; 23rd April 2012 at 05:16 PM.

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

Agreed.

Correct work in camera is a needed skill BEFORE using any software to enhance the photograph.

Real Name
    Mark

Nik software is pretty neat. It kind of speeds up processes that you could do manually in photoshop, but it cannot make a bad photo good!!! I use it in conjunction with all the other tools at my disposal.

Real Name
    Ronny Geenen

Quote Originally Posted by Markvetnz View Post
    Nik software is pretty neat. It kind of speeds up processes that you could do manually in photoshop, but it cannot make a bad photo good!!! I use it in conjunction with all the other tools at my disposal.

Maybe the person who demonstrated us the software is a real software artist. I could not believe what I saw.
    O.K., I do not know also how to work with photoshop.
    But it motivates me and I think I will buy the Topaz bundle.

Real Name
    Ronny Geenen

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I think your last sentence is correct, Ronny. If anyone feels they can take a poor photograph and turn it into a work of fine art, good photojournalism, excellent wildlife or documentary image(which I will always argue is impossible), then the activity has ceased to be photography and is something else altogether. It may require skill and knowledge. But, for me, it would not be photography.
    Again I must agree with you, it would not be photography. But the same happened to me in 1984. I have been a design engineer, who has learned it on the drawing board. We designers could write letters like a template. The hand writing of todays computer engineers are like that of a doctor. In 1984 computers entered our engineering company and todays youngsters can not draw a straight line. This will also happened with photography.
    I also remember, I was still in Holland, learning and working in a darkroom. Today Kodak is nearly broke.
    I can only say enjoy photography as long as you can.

Real Name
    Robin

I use various bits of Nik software and they can be very useful.

I got Viveza because I like the Control Points in Nikon capture NX2 (made by Nik Software) but found I could get more from them with a stand alone program, all be it a plug-in for Photoshop, than the NX2 flavoured ones. Very clever bit of software that saves time and multiple layers in PS - not cheap but very good.

Silver Efex is by far the best bit of software I've come across for producing mono work. I know there are millions of ways in which people say you have to do it - layer masks/channels etc but I just can't be bothered with them. For me Silver Efex does the job quickly and gives an image I like.

Both of the above are full blown desktop based software but Nik also make Snapseed for iOS devices (now in desktop form too) and its superb. Really a brilliant, brilliant photo editor if you have an iPhone or iPad. You get the Control Points form Viveza, bits of Silver Efex pro and some of the filters from Colour Efex Pro and all for about £3. On the iPad it will even handle RAW files from a DSLR so I can crop, edit, sharpen and more then email the picture while out and about....use it almost every day.

Real Name
    Søren

I'm using all modules from Nik software and find them usefull and very easy to learn (flat learning curve).

The only thing is that you (that I) tends to use these module for every purpose and thereby is getting a bit rusty on core photoshop work. I find my self use Viveza when I just need to pull a bit on the curve :-)