Thread: New books-comments?

Real Name
    Myra

New books-comments?

I splurged and bought myself two books while in the city yesterday: Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS5 book (2011) and Kevin Kubota's Lighting Notebook (2011). I have three of Kelby's books about photography, and his easy style appeals to me. I bought that book to refine what I know and to learn how to better use the features in CS5. Knowing nothing about lighting, the photos, examples and conversational style of the Kubota book made it seem like a good place to start. I am NOT someone who understands technical, scientific terms; quite the contrary I need to see and try and review and try again. The Kubota book has diagrams of lighting setups, exposure info, tools used and anecdotal comments under the photos along with the chapter info. The photographs are GORGEOUS.

If anyone knows these books, do you have any sections that you found particularly helpful?

Comments on other lighting books that are not "scientific in nature" are welcome. (ie NO PHYSICS! I had to drop that in grade 11!! <LOL>).

Real Name
    John

Re: New books-comments?

I don't know those particular books but I do have Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop Elements 8 book for digital photographers" and the clerk who recommended it said that it was a book people wanting to learn the software, not photography. So if Kelby's book for Photoshop is designed the same way, primarily towards utilizing the software and you want more "in-camera" information, then you may need additional resources. If you are primarily interested in learning what to do with your photographs after downloading to your computer, then Kelby's book is the right selection for you.

Regarding particular sections, anything involving camera RAW is extremely valuable.
    Last edited by Shadowman; 23rd April 2012 at 01:30 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The best book I've ever read on lighting is "Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting", by Hunter, Fuqua and Biver.

http://www.amazon.ca/Light-Science-M...5117847&sr=1-2

It's well written and easy to read. It does touch the technical issues that photographers need to understand about lighting. Lighting and how it is manipulated is technical in nature and one has to understand this to understand how to handle photographic lighting in the real world.

Real Name
    Jim

I'll add another vote for "Light Science and Magic".Here's another for flash photography that I recommend if you use Canon flashes.
    http://www.amazon.com/Speedliters-Ha.../dp/032171105X

Real Name
    Myra

Manfred, I think that's the book Colin recommended to someone the other day and I could not remember the title while at the bookstore. Thanks for the reminder!

John, that's exactly what I wanted the CS5 book for. There are so many tools in photoshop that can be utilized to bring out the best in what the camera has captured. He's also good at providing quick tips that make life easier when in front of the computer. For example, I haven't been utilizing the mini-bridge feature and figured switching back and forth between photoshop and ACR was fine. After reading the first chapter, I can see that utilizing the mini bridge would be a smarter thing to do efficiency-wise. When working and learning by yourself, it's easy to get locked into one way of doing things. The other three books I have of Kelby's are about photography and were purchased 3 or so years ago. They became my go-to books for awhile.

BTW, Kelby now tells people to skip certain sections if they don't want bad humour and would rather cut right to the chase I like his wonky style.

Edited to add: Jim, that looks like a good book, too, and is being added to my list. Thanks!

Real Name
    Myra

The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes [Paperback]
    Joe McNally
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Hot-Shoe-D...ref=pd_sim_b_5

Just looking at the two books recommended and came across this one. It looks to be more "where I live" right now as far as flash goes. Have to start somewhere! I now have three books on my list. In Canada, we have Chapters/Indgo but stuck with the Amazon links as they are likely more international.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes [Paperback]
    Joe McNally
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Hot-Shoe-D...ref=pd_sim_b_5

Just looking at the two books recommended and came across this one. It looks to be more "where I live" right now as far as flash goes. Have to start somewhere! I now have three books on my list. In Canada, we have Chapters/Indgo but stuck with the Amazon links as they are likely more international.
    Myra - I buy from Amazon.ca all the time. Their warehouse is in Mississauga, just outside of Toronto (it's an interesting operation that I've been in to see a couple of times) and they ship via Canada Post and UPS, depending on the size of the package. I find that if I order by early afternoon, the book is in my hands next day (Toronto - Ottawa). I would expect it to take a bit longer to get out to the East Coast.

Real Name
    Alexander Rose

The Hot Shoes Diaries are less interesting when you don't use Nikon, in my opinion.

Real Name
    Myra

Alexander, thanks. Somehow, I thought the review I read said Canon speedlights. OK, cross that one off the list!

Real Name
    Alexander Rose

Myra,
    "Speedliter's Handbook" is primarily for Canon.
    Don't get me wrong - both books of course can be useful even if you use another system but some of the helpfulness of course is lost.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    I think that's the book Colin recommended to someone the other day and I could not remember the title while at the bookstore. Thanks for the reminder!
    Yep - that's the industry-standard reference text for lighting fundamentals.