Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: From the knee

Real Name
    Bobo

From the knee

The other day went out on a wet, very overcast day to check out an old building that had just been restored. Light was terrible and shadowed areas quite dark. Since I was already there tried to make the best of the situation by bumping up the ISO to 1600.

Took a couple of shots of the building - quite nice but not quite as interesting as I thought it would be. If anyone would lile to see them will post in a separate thread.

Anyway, after walking around the building and taking shots from various angles and distances, decided to do some street work. Problem now was everywhere I walked someone would always look at this guy with a camera. So took the camera off the neck, wrapped the strap around the wrist and held it vertical at knee level tilting it up/down as needed.

Should have realised that focusing blind was going to be a problem and should have just set the lens to the hyperfocal distance. Next time will be wiser.

Due to the conditions colours were not popping so decided to go mono.
    Used a chocolatey finish to represent this old district though a couple are b&w.

View and comments, particularly composition and processing appreciated as usual. Have been trying to improve b/w work so something in that regard would be helpful.

Thanks.

A couple of those knee-level shots.

1. Young man in small park watching world go by.
    From the knee

2. Fresh pork shop. The butcher is searing the hair off a trotter before selling it the the lady behind him.
    From the knee

3. Heroin addiction treatment clinic. Registered addicts are given free Methadone to counter withdrawl. I was surprised to see the non-Chinese taking his meds and coming out.
    From the knee

4. Defiant looking vagrant. I left his feet out of the crop - you do not want to see those.
    From the knee

5. Skinny lady
    From the knee

6. After nearly 5 hours of walking around, ended up in here for an early dinner - Indian Curry, yum!
    From the knee
    Last edited by Bobobird; 22nd April 2012 at 11:12 AM.

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: From the knee

What a wonderfully different viewpoint on street life and how clever of you to get such clear shots.

They are just oozing atmosphere and the toning is superb,

My favourite .....if I had to choose...has to be that vagrant...excellent stuff all of them Bobo!

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Daisy.

Of the many shots, #4 is the one I like best too. Even entered it in one of the comps but no doubt some landscape will run it down.

While in HK, generally the street is more readily available then the birds and bees so the tendency is to go walking but avoiding the tourist spots. The main problem in the non-touristy places are those awkward looks which are everywhere. The knee thing appears to work except for the focusing so will do it that way in future.

Question - for such conditions would switching on all focus points (in additional to hyperfocal distance) be helpful ?

Real Name
    Sharon

I'd be interested to hear the answer to that.

Real Name
    Bobo

Well I was right about the comp - got thrown into 2nd place by the usual landscape.

Real Name
    Jeff

Well done, the vagrant & the Chinese girl are great

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Jeff.