Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Backside of Sunrise^2

Real Name
    Allan Short

Backside of Sunrise^2

Took Donald's suggestion of a 1:1 format, never tried that before so I selected an image taken a couple of minutes before the other one. The sun is lower down on the horizon so the light thrown on the clouds colours and lights them up differently. I orginally was wanting to get a reflection from the pond in front of me, but the wind was causing too much of a ripple so I looked behind me and said I like that. Hope you like and would like some feed back on what you think of the 1:1 format.

Cheers:

Allan

MOD EDIT - I hope with your permission Allan, I am inserting a link, here, to your original thread. Members who did not see it, can then know and see where your discussion above came from.
    Donald

Backside of Sunrise^2
    Last edited by Donald; 19th April 2012 at 01:26 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Backside of Sunrise^2

Allan,

Seems like two significantly different images, and I prefer your original: I think in a image where the sky and the foreground are equal in interest and impact, that one sacrifices something crucial by employing a crop just to satisfy the Law of Thirds.

In the first image, I very much like the variegated patterns of texture and light of the field, and the distinct break between the yellow and the blue, without the slight transitional pink glow as the eye looks up from the top of the grass. I thought the first image was truly excellent, and the second only good.

Kevin

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Backside of Sunrise^2

You are right Kevin, I too also like the first image better, I didn't want to crop it so I went with the first shot and cropped it 1:1. When I was cropping it, the thirds never crossed my mind, only when your stated it did I notice that I did it. I guess that it is better to go with your first thoughts than to think well at least in my case.
    Oh and thank you Donald for linking the two, I was thinking of doing that however I did not know how to, thanks again

Cheers:

Allan