Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Jellyfish - C&C please!

Real Name
    Kim Abbott

Jellyfish - C&C please!

Last year, I went to the Tennesee Aquarium with my newly acquired Rebel T3i and snapped a ton of pictures. The jellyfish in one particular tank were some of my favorite pictures that came out of the day. I want to see get some input on them.

The flecks around them are I assume a brine shrimp the staff have in the water for the jellies to eat. Are they too distracting?

These are shot in either 3200 or 6400 ISO, probably around 1/100 Tv.. Not sure of the aperture.

Jellyfish - C&C please!

Jellyfish - C&C please!

Jellyfish - C&C please!

Jellyfish - C&C please!

Real Name
    Jon

Re: Jellyfish - C&C please!

#3 is my favorite capture. I like to see everything trailing below the body, rather than clumped up and hidden behind it like #1 & #2. #4 gives an interesting twisted mess also...I like it.
    I don't think the flecks are distracting at all, they give it a realism as if you were actually there.

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Jellyfish - C&C please!

Hi Kim,

Great captures - the technical term for the specks is 'backscatter'. They are bits of dirt and detritus that get lit by a flash. One way to minimize this is by using a strobe above and to the left/right of the lens. You can also direct it to use edge lighting - which reduces the amount of light being bounced.

In underwater photography circles backscatter is seen as a 'bad thing', although this is very much a matter of taste. In the turbid waters of the UK it can get very distracting (and frustrating) as my shot of a common lobster (taken at 12m off the South Coast of England) shows.

Jellyfish - C&C please!