Thread: White Orchid... C&C Appreciated

Real Name
    Joe

White Orchid... C&C Appreciated

This is the last of my Phalenopsis Orchid to bloom. I photographed and post processed the images this morning using natural light from two windows to the rear of where I had the orchid and background set up. I shot the first image of the series while holding a 18% gray card for use in setting the white balance. In reading and setting the white balance off the gray card the images looked yellowish and muddy, so I decreased the white balance (moving towards the blue instead of amber) until looking at the white of the flower and the laptop screen looked about right. All comments and critique are welcomed.

Real Name
    Johnny

Re: White Orchid... C&C Appreciated

In the bottom image, I find the two green buds a bit too bright given the subtlety of the other colors.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
    In the bottom image, I find the two green buds a bit too bright given the subtlety of the other colors.
    Hi Johnny, I had not notice that. I agree and will work on it. Thanks for viewing and commenting.

Real Name
    Joe

Here is the edited version with the buds toned down with the local Adjustment Brush in Lightroom 4.

Real Name
    glenn

Hi joe,
    love these shots ,Im new to photography and I am wanting to try a few flower shots.
    This may be a daft question but, how do you get the black background, is it done while shooting, ie something behind the flower, or in p&p.

Real Name
    Joe

Hi Glenn, thank your for viewing and commenting. The background is done while shooting, but also tweaked in post processing if not black enough. I have a piece of black velvet cloth I bought eons ago at a remnants store. I shoot the orchids on my kitchen breakfast bar to get natural light from two windows. I have a small chair that just fits on the breakfast bar which I hang the velvet cloth over for a backgroun. Works for me...thanks again.

Real Name
    glenn

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Hi Glenn, thank your for viewing and commenting. The background is done while shooting, but also tweaked in post processing if not black enough. I have a piece of black velvet cloth I bought eons ago at a remnants store. I shoot the orchids on my kitchen breakfast bar to get natural light from two windows. I have a small chair that just fits on the breakfast bar which I hang the velvet cloth over for a backgroun. Works for me...thanks again.

Thankyou joe for the tip. I will have to experiment in the near future.
    Thanks again joe.