Thread: How to shrink a 2 MB image file down to 1 MB

How to shrink a 2 MB image file down to 1 MB

I took pictures always with 2 mb, is possible from 2 mb o change to 1 mb ? how ?
    thank....

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: From 2 mb to 1 mb

Hi Iwan,

Not sure I understand the question, can you tell us a bit more?

2mb where?
    1mb after you'd done what?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Iwanbogor View Post
    I took pictures always with 2 mb, is possible from 2 mb o change to 1 mb ? how ?
    thank....
    Hi Iwan,

Are you asking how to reduce a 2MB image so that it's a 1MB image?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Iwan,

Are you asking how to reduce a 2MB image so that it's a 1MB image?
    yes....that is my questions !
    thank's to all reaction

Real Name

Hi Iwan,

There are two ways that I can think of ...

1. Reduce the number of pixels in the image (in Photoshop you'd need to go into IMAGE -> IMAGE SIZE then make sure RESAMPLE IMAGE is ticked - and then enter a fewer number of pixels than are already there.

2. Reduce the quality of the image. Go FILE -> SAVE AS then give it a new name and when it asks for a quality setting then lower it until the image drops below 1MB.

If your not using Photoshop then I'm afraid that I can't help.

Thank Collin, I will try...

Real Name
    Jan Diepeveen

As a tip this freeware program :PhotoRazor. PhotoRazor makes high quality copies of your photos at a smaller size.
    Regards,
    Jan

2. Reduce the quality of the image. Go FILE -> SAVE AS then give it a new name and when it asks for a quality setting then lower it until the image drops below 1MB.

Hi Colin

I am using Nikon D300 and My file size of image is around 6mb.,
    sometimes I am required to send 10-12 images by e-mail with high resolution.,

It appears that even without reducing the size and resolution of the image I can reduce the file size by reducing the Image quality.,down to 700k..

What will be quality loss in print with this reduced quality.,

I am test printing few images

thanks
    Last edited by Ashwin; 23rd July 2009 at 04:07 AM.

Hi Ashwin, How did the tests come out?

I just read this thread because I have the same question, except that I have a MacBook. Any one out there know how to reduce MB on a Mac? I have a one page word document with a jpeg image in it. The doc is 12 MB and I need to reduce it to 10 so I can email it. The jpeg image is less than 1 MB, so it's all extra c^^p in the conversion because I have that office for mac program and I have to save everything in the old format 97-2004 version (not docx). I'm asking this same question on the dotmac website, too.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 9th August 2009 at 08:02 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Emily,

Firstly welcome to the CiC forums.

Your question is more to do with Word than photography, but we'll see what we can do
    I have a feeling that when you import a jpg into word, it seems to build and store a bitmapped image in the document, which explain the size of it.
    One potential way I can think that may circumvent this, is to save it as a web page), this means it will save an html format file of the text and also the image separately, as a jpg I believe.
    This should, although making more files (which can be zipped up, or sent together), avoid the huge size.
    At the receiving end (of the e-mail) they would need to open the files and Save As ".doc", which I assume is possible.

There are several different web page saving methods, I'd suggest try and see what works best.

Or somebody cleverer than me may reply with a better idea.

I wonder what happens if you save as rich text format (rtf), it may just lose the picture, so do check.

Hope that helps,

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyMelander View Post

I just read this thread because I have the same question, except that I have a MacBook. Any one out there know how to reduce MB on a Mac? I have a one page word document with a jpeg image in it. The doc is 12 MB and I need to reduce it to 10 so I can email it. The jpeg image is less than 1 MB, so it's all extra crap in the conversion because I have that office for mac program and I have to save everything in the old format 97-2004 version (not docx). I'm asking this same question on the dotmac website, too.
    Hi Emily,

In the PC world (but this probably applies to a Mac as well) you need to be sure that you insert the picture by choosing "Insert -> Image -> From file) (or the equivalent). If you simply paste the image into the file you end it with it being around 10 times the size of the original (which is what you have).

On a side note, a 10MD document will "pad out" to around 13MB worth of traffic when eMailed and may still fail a 10MB limit check. Best way to send large files (of unlimited size) os to pop along to www.sendthisfile.com and create a free acount ... you upload your file to them ... they send a link to the recipient ... they download from the website (all highly automated) - I routinely send/receive 200-300MB files this way.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyMelander View Post
    Hi Emily,

Without changing the size of the saved image, there is no visible difference in the print., but if want bigger print than the saved one., there is some visible difference in print, print appears to be little blurred..
    Last edited by Ashwin; 13th August 2009 at 09:20 AM.