Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A great spring day in east London

Real Name
    Dave

A great spring day in east London

A couple of shots from a walk yesterday.

All comments welcomed.

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: A great spring day in east London

The summary first, Dave. I like the first one. Am not so keen on the second one. Why?

All to do with composition.

I can see what you were doing with the second one. What doesn't work for me with it is the inclusion a wider landscape approach. i think that if you had been much closer into the building (Is it a church?) and that it was the main feature of the land-based interest and then had that big sky above it, that might have worked better. So, building, a couple of trees and lots of sky.

As it is I find myself peering away into the distance at the building and at the row of trees. So, too much land for me, in terms of its wide expanse. I hope that makes some sort of sense. If there had been something happening on the green (children and dogs running around, a game of cricket, etc), that would have provided more interest.

Whereas, the other one ........... I think that is a much more effective composition (and the lighting on the water is wonderful as well). I feel that the group of trees on the right are a sufficiently significant (large) part of the image. They give us something to hold attention are are not lost away in the distance in the way that those in the second image are. That, I think, is a very pleasant image.

Real Name
    Steve

Is that really East London. I like the clouds by the way.

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks for the comments, Donald.

I can understand your view about the second one, as when I was taking it I knew I should be closer.

I decided against it because I did not want to cope with a lot of distracting street furniture - bus shelter with advertisements, traffic lights and also a side road that could have led out of the photo.

However, I should have got in there and worked around the distractions. As I did not, I think I have ended up with a variation on what I sometimes see in sunset photo - they can have nothing other than some pretty colours. Here I have some pretty clouds and not much else.

Yes Steve, that is east London. The first is in the London Borough of Redbridge, which does border Essex, so parts of it are quite rural. The second is in Newham and is about two miles from the Olympic site.

Dave

Over the past couple of days, Dave, I have been shooting similar shower clouds, over Dartmoor. More to keep in reserve for backgrounds than for actual photographic merit.

With your second shot. I wonder about increasing the canvas size slightly at the bottom then cloning some grass into it.