Jeff

Does this work ?

Feedback Appreciated

Does this work ?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Does this work ?

Hi Jeff,

Looks good to me, apart from the writing in the bottom left that totally ruins it by dragging my eye straight to it.

Might be tempted to crop a little off the top and see if the diagonal running through the image looks better pointing more towards the corner. It also looks a touch flat (no true blacks)

How's this with the minor tweaks mentioned above?

Does this work ?

Real Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Jeff,

Looks good to me, apart from the writing in the bottom left that totally ruins it by dragging my eye straight to it.

Might be tempted to crop a little off the top and see if the diagonal running through the image looks better pointing more towards the corner. It also looks a touch flat (no true blacks)

How's this with the minor tweaks mentioned above?

Does this work ?
    That's a lot better - Thanks !

Jeff

Real Name
    Zhiyong Wang

a nice photo~
    But I have a feeling of unstable, maybe caused by the distortion of the house.

Real Name
    Kevin

I agree with Zhiyong about some "instability", but I like it very much. There are multple contributors here to dynamic tension, including the diagonals of the foreground branches, the upslope of the ground, the leaning building, a sense of scurrying clouds, and the placement of the building at the extreme right and not more centrally. The image has a strong sense of movement, and absolutely works for me, especially in B&W.
    Really nice shot, Jeff.

Kevin

Real Name
    Jeff

Thanks for the encouragement !

Real Name
    Johnny

For me, the instability comes from not having a place for the image to go past the abandoned barn. I think just a bit more "something" indistinguishable back there would help to lead the eye in and both ends as well as assist the same eye in exiting the scene.

Also, given the "brightness" of the sky, I think I would like to see just a wee bit more lightness on the face of the structure which will set up a nice triangulation between the branches, the sky and the structure.

I wouldn't go so far as to give the back as much lead in as the foregrond. I agree with Colin's edit and disagree with the distrortion edit (more so because I do not know what lens was used, not because there isn't a noticeable lean to the structure) as the fenceposts on that side are quite vertical.

Real Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
    For me, the instability comes from not having a place for the image to go past the abandoned barn. I think just a bit more "something" indistinguishable back there would help to lead the eye in and both ends as well as assist the same eye in exiting the scene.

Also, given the "brightness" of the sky, I think I would like to see just a wee bit more lightness on the face of the structure which will set up a nice triangulation between the branches, the sky and the structure.

I wouldn't go so far as to give the back as much lead in as the foregrond. I agree with Colin's edit and disagree with the distrortion edit (more so because I do not know what lens was used, not because there isn't a noticeable lean to the structure) as the fenceposts on that side are quite vertical.
    The instability comes from an old structure in an earthquake zone !

Real Name
    Jeff

Re: Does this work ? (revised)

Incorporating the comments - better ?

Does this work ?

Real Name
    Jim

Re: Does this work ? (revised)

Post #9; yes, much better!