Thread: Self-made Lighting Equipment

Self-made Lighting Equipment

Hey folks,

I'm a bit ............ because of the very expensive studio equipment especially for lighting effects. As a friend of mine decided to build his own lighting stuff with strong LEDs I also tried to plan a background and direct lighting for my photos. See what came in my mind...

This is the direct lighting:

Such spots will be used for my background lighting:

I created the spots / lamps on my own just by buying cheap eBay cases that easily can resist high temperatures.

These are the LEDs bulbs I used:

Total costs: a third of the professional equipment's costs...

What kind of stuff do you use flood a room with light?
    Last edited by workflow; 12th April 2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Deletion of word that could cause offence to some.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Self-made Lighting Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by workflow View Post
    What kind of stuff do you use flood a room with light?
    Professional Flash Units.
    For two main reasons;

1. To arrest Subject Movement.
    2. To NOT place any strain on the Subjects' eyes, especially the elderly; the very young; or those with various eye conditions.

For inanimate Subjects, continuous lighting can be suitable in some circumstances: provided there is measurement and control over the Colour Temperature of each source light

WW
    Last edited by William W; 10th April 2012 at 11:54 PM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Professional Flash Units.
    For two main reasons;

1. To arrests Subject Movement.
    2. To NOT place any strain on the Subjects' eyes, especially the elderly; the very young; or those with various eye conditions.
    Same.

For what it's worth, my studio has no less than 8 flourescent tubes lighting the 10 x 8m area (general lighting) ... and these 8 lights contribute approx ZERO percent of the lighting that goes into a photo (when compared to the strobes). Basically you just can't get enough power from continuous lighting for ideal results in my opinion; you'll end up either having DoF issues due to wide-open apertures or having to treat the subject for an eye injury.

Many years ago I used several thousand watts of halogen worklights on a subject (I even had to feed them from 2 circuits to stop the fuse blowing) - and even that wasn't satisfactory.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Thanks Kathy,

I read it twice and seems to be a reasonably balanced objective article.

There are four sample shots, one a product shot (B&W) and I mentioned that.

I have not very much argument with use for B&W portraiture . . . but that appears a “professional” model, who can hold a pose: 1/250s is a bit too slow for Kids’ Portraiture, for example.

Maybe it’s my monitor – but the Colour of the Fill for the Open Shade shot of the Blonde Woman in the white dress is not as good as the text suggests – that would be my main argument and objection with the objectivity of the author and the facts of the article -

And also maybe just not enough power and or flexibility for fill in open backlit / sidelit sunlight.

WW

These comments are in response to the link Kathy has made in her post #5, below:
    Last edited by William W; 11th April 2012 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Added PS

Real Name
    Kathy

Sorry, William. Slippage. I deleted my post, since I wasn't sure l knew what I was talking about . Anyhoo, here's the link for anybody interested.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...kirk-tuck.html

It's a TOP post about Kirk Tuck's new book on LED panel lighting. For folks who shoot both still and video, it could be a serious gamechanger. For those who primarily shoot stills, an interesting addition to the arsenal.

Real Name
    Richard

One of my main criticisms of continuous light is that in order to achieve a decent f/stop and a shutter speed which will stop subject motion, the lights have to be very bright. Far brighter than at which the average person is comfortable. Besides the discomfort, a light source of this intensity causes the subjects pupils to contract making them look like they have been using mind altering drugs...