Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 1st try to post.

Real Name
    Frank

1st try to post.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rooksf/...in/photostream

Just got back from a trip to Zion National Park. I hope you will comment or critique on this picture. I took about 1500, but this was one I really enjoyed and wanted to share.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: 1st try to post.

Quote Originally Posted by frooks View Post
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rooksf/...in/photostream

Just got back from a trip to Zion National Park. I hope you will comment or critique on this picture. I took about 1500, but this was one I really enjoyed and wanted to share.
    Frank

Hello and welcome to CiC.

Unfortunately you have posted the url link to the Flickr site rather than the link to the picture that you have placed on Flickr.

If you haven't already done so, please do study the help thread about 'How to post images' that you can access via the HELP/Rules tab on the menu bar above. If you still have problems, then please do call out.

Real Name
    Greg

Hi Frank,
    Must have been a great trip, very jealous.
    Look forward to your photo's
    Cheers Greg

Real Name
    Frank

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Stick with it Frank.

Here is your image that I took from your Flickr page

1st try to post.

You need to right click on the image as it sits on your Flickr page, then ......

• Choose 'Large'. Then .......
    • when that opens up, right click and (depending on which Browser you're using, either) 'copy image location' or 'copy'. Then ...............
    • Come back to your message box on CiC and click the picture icon in the toolbar.
    • When the window pops open, right click and paste. The image location you copied should now be sitting there.
    • Close that and hey presto...! Your image should be sitting in your message window.

Real Name
    Frank

1st try to post.
    Thanks Donald. I'll keep trying to get the pictures in correctly. I thought I'd try another picture while I was at it.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks Donald. I'll keep trying to get the pictures in correctly. I thought I'd try another picture while I was at it.
    BINGO! You've got it.

Must say, I prefer that second one. I think the first one is too busy and it's not clear what the main subject is.

The second one looks a bit bright on my monitor. Or maybe it really was that bright.

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks for your help Donald. The first one, I was just enjoying the colors and trying to make the reflection in the water show through some. The second one was a really bright day. I'll put some more of the pictures from this trip up later. I learned how to make a starburst picture on this trip, so I'll try to get it posted soon also.

Real Name
    Frank

1st try to post.
    My first starburst attempt. Sunrise at Bryce Canyon

Real Name
    Frank

1st try to post.
    Another sunrise picture, Bryce Ampitheater, Bryce Canyon National Park.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

1st try to post.
    Another sunrise picture, Bryce Ampitheater, Bryce Canyon National Park.
    That's a pretty impressive canyon shot Frank. I think it would benefit from a little more pp work :

• Darken the sky and recover the blown highlight area in the top right if possible
    • Use a diagonal gradient across the bottom left hand corner and reduce the brightness of this area.
    • Adjust the black point and mid-range level point to enhance the contrast a bit
    • Add a bit of extra sharpening (not a lot)

Nicely done though
    Dave

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks. I am using Aperture and haven't learned too many skills with it yet. I'll try your suggestions.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

1st try to post.
    Hi Frank! This is a lovely image just the way it is but if you wanted to cut through some of the atmospheric haze in the distance, I've found that increasing the contrast slightly on just the background can sometimes help.

Real Name
    Frank

1st try to post.
    Frank,
    I tried adjusting the contrast and the highlights some. Not sure if I got it right, but I think I like it better.

Dave, I'll have to keep trying to figure out how to make Aperture do the things you were suggesting. I got a little progress, but not enough to show.
    Thanks for the comments.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Frank I'm not an Apple man so I don't use Aperture. My steps above were based on Photoshop. I'm afraid I have no knowledge of what can be done in Aperture.

Here is an edit I did on your image in PS based on the steps above. The changes are fairly subtle.

Dave

1st try to post.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

1st try to post.I tried adjusting the contrast and the highlights some. Not sure if I got it right, but I think I like it better.
    IMHO, the background has benefitted from the additional contrast but the foreground has turned a bit harsh. If you have any post processing software supports the use of Layers, you can use a selection mask to apply the contrast to just the background and not affect the foreground.

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks Dave and Frank. Dave, I like what you did with the picture. I'm still learning to see some of those differences in the pictures. Frank, I'll keep working on the contrast and see if I can get it under control.

Real Name
    Frank

1st try to post.
    One more try at adjusting the contrast in the valley. I intensified the contrast in the sky and valley. Then I made some adjustments in the black point and saturation. Please make any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Frank, because the original is no longer available, I can't compare the two but this definitely does not have the problem with too high a contrast in the foreground. This is not an easy task but you can move it in the right direction. In this image, I tried, but failed to get all of the haze out. Other attempts have been more successful so a lot depends on the image.

Sometimes you have to just keep trying different things until you either throw in the towel (for the time being) or become satisfied with the results and take your learning experience on to the next image.

Real Name
    Frank

Thanks Frank,
    I think that's where I'm at with this one. I don't mind the haze that's left since it was a little hazy that day anyway. I did learn quite a few things with Aperture trying to fix it. I'll try it on some of the other ones from this trip also.