Real Name
    Guy Poizat

Chapel, Pyrénées

Any critics or comments ?

Chapel, Pyrénées

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Chapel, Pyrénées

Between this and Jeff's image here and elsewhere, we're getting some wonderful images from the Pyrenees.

Like Jeff's image, I do like this composition, in that we are shown the building as part of the landscape in which it sits. I think that adds wonderfully to the narrative of the image.

Am i correct in thinking that another sky has been dropped into the picture? I think the blending of that (if I'm correct) has resulted in the line of the top of the mountain being not quite correct.

The question i find myself debating about this image is whether:
    a) The sky has been over-processed and does not support the other parts of the picture?
    b) Local Contrast Enhancement could be used, particularly on the chapel building to make it 'pop' more than it does?

Real Name
    Guy Poizat

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Between this and Jeff's image here and elsewhere, we're getting some wonderful images from the Pyrenees.

Like Jeff's image, I do like this composition, in that we are shown the building as part of the landscape in which it sits. I think that adds wonderfully to the narrative of the image.

Am i correct in thinking that another sky has been dropped into the picture? I think the blending of that (if I'm correct) has resulted in the line of the top of the mountain being not quite correct.

The question i find myself debating about this image is whether:
    a) The sky has been over-processed and does not support the other parts of the picture?
    b) Local Contrast Enhancement could be used, particularly on the chapel building to make it 'pop' more than it does?
    Donald,
    I did "cheat" on this one: actually, I liked very much this composition except that the sky was absolutely bland and uninteresting. As it happens quite often in the area , the sky changed within a few minutes and I took a quick snap of it in order to improve the picture later. I did drop that sky on the original picture and I must confess I could have done a better job.
    Any suggestion ? I have used a layer mask with Gimp.
    Best regards
    Guy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by gpzt View Post
    Any suggestion ? I have used a layer mask with Gimp.
    I am afraid I do not have a suggestion, Guy. I also use the GIMP and this is an enormously difficult thing to do, particularly when the edge that you are trying to blend is one like this - the top of trees. I would say it's almost impossible. I don't even try it.

Real Name
    Jeff

There is a technique that will do this in photoshop, briefly, switch to lab colour, and load the luminance channel as a selection, then edit it with levels to get rid of the greys. Don't know if the GIMP can do this tho.

J