Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Framing up

Real Name
    Keat

Framing up

upload5-2.jpgWas walking around town the other day and saw this corridor that framed up a beautiful sky and the nice building in it. Tried to take a few shots of it but was unable to give any impact to my shots. Hope that by posting it here I will get some input on how to compose it better.

1. What you are trying to accomplish
    For this picture, I am trying to frame up the sky and the colonial like building with the corridor.

2. What you did to move toward that goal
    I am not sure if I should also follow the rule of 3rd for this picture, so I decided to frame it like how we would frame the picture and put what I intended to frame in the middle. I like the texture of the wall, so I included a significant amount of it in it.

3. What aspect of the image you would like to see improved, and
    I'm hoping to improve on the composition of this picture and the post processing part of it. I used HDR for this picture too.

4. What you feel your skill level is in this area.
    My skill are still at beginner level in both composition and post processing.

Do let me know your honest opinions and C&C for improving this picture. Much thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Keat

Re: Framing up

upload5.jpg
    This is another shot I took of the same place. But I included more wall in it. And post processed it to be much brighter than the 1st one. Do let me know which is better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Allan Short

Keat: I like the colours of the 1st one and the composition of the 2nd one, I like that I can see the bottom of the opening in the first one I am wanting something and that thing is the bottom of the opening. I hope that, that makes some kind of sense.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Keat

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Keat: I like the colours of the 1st one and the composition of the 2nd one, I like that I can see the bottom of the opening in the first one I am wanting something and that thing is the bottom of the opening. I hope that, that makes some kind of sense.

Cheers:

Allan
    Thanks alot for the input. Btw, is the sky abit flat in the 1st picture? Is there anyway I can make it not so flat? I think it might be mainly due to the HDR pp but I think the original picture also looks kinda flat anyways despite me using a CP filter.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Keat: I do not know where you PP level is, however a suggestion, take one of the orginal images open it in RAW and work just the sky do not worry about the rest of the image. When it is to your liking, save it, now combine the two images using layers and masks to only have the sky that you want showing with the other image.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Keat

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Keat: I do not know where you PP level is, however a suggestion, take one of the orginal images open it in RAW and work just the sky do not worry about the rest of the image. When it is to your liking, save it, now combine the two images using layers and masks to only have the sky that you want showing with the other image.

Cheers:

Allan
    Thanks. Will try to play around with it. But I don't think it is possible to do layers in lightroom...

Real Name
    Allan Short

Keat: yes that is a problem with LR I guess that is why a number of people using it also use either PSE or CS to do what LR is unable to do. Did not know that you only have LR sorry can not suggest anything else as I do not use LR but CS5. Good luck with your images.

Cheers:

Allan