Thread: Pumpkin time

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Pumpkin time

Pumpkin time

This is my only model, my granddaughter Nia, and she is so used to seeing me with a camera in my hand that her expression doesn't change, whatever I am doing. I liked the sun shining through her hair, but the angle has produced some strange bokeh effects; do they matter? What suggestions do you have for me should I find myself in a similar position? Thanks for looking, Gillie

Real Name
    Ludwig Keck

Re: Pumpkin time

This is a beautiful photo of a charming girl. You have good light on her face. The backlight from the sun is just great. The bokeh circles do not detract at all in my opinion. Whatever you did seems to work just fine. Keep taking photos!

Real Name
    Terry

Well if there is only one model, Gillie, I don’t think you could ask for a better (or cuter) one!

Sunlight in her hair (awesome back/rim lighting), great background effects. I would only have a couple of suggestions, Gillie.

On the bottom left of the frame the out of focus thing could possibly be cropped out. I was thinking what a fun print this would be, but I wonder if that would end up being an advantage in the frame. I saw a few good crops with Miss Nia’s pretty portrait.

And this would be my primary suggestion, Gillie, and maybe something you might like to play around with should you find yourself in a similar position.

Maybe you would find playing with some fill light to your liking. Just enought to bring out her face a bit to help balance the ambient in her hair.

Either way, its a keeper!
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 2nd April 2012 at 03:42 AM.

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Thank you, Ludwig; very encouraging. Gillie

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Thank you Terry; I agree that the out of focus items should leave. I think maybe some judicious cloning or patching might be better than the crop which might unbalance the picture, (in my view). When you suggest some fill light. I imagine you mean pp? Gillie

Real Name
    Kevin

Hey, Gillie

Loved your picture. Had a couple minutes so I made a quick play at some minor cropping and facial highlight adustment. It's quick and crude but gives a hint as to Terry's suggestions that I seconded. I also have a single model-she's one year old.

Kevin

Pumpkin time
    Last edited by kdoc856; 2nd April 2012 at 01:01 PM.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by gilliebg View Post
    Thank you Terry... When you suggest some fill light. I imagine you mean pp? Gillie
    You are most welcome, Gillie.

Actually I was thinking some fill light done on the spot rather than in post.

I would say that a reflector would do the trick. With this tight of a shot, maybe even a sheet of white paper might work to put some nice light on her face.

Real Name
    Frank Deland

My eye keeps jumping to that moon shaped reflection of the chair piece on the right. Just darken that out or clone it to black space. Wonderful expression and lighting.

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Thanks Kevin; I think the crop works well, and lightening the face would have been a great idea, were she not so dirty! Anyway, I did an adjustment or two, bearing in mind the suggestions. I think that the metal table top is maybe not necessary, but I cloned out the objects that were out of focus, and then lightened the face just a little with Nik Color Efex levels and curves.

Pumpkin time

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Thanks Frank; I seem to have lost that in the last picture I posted! Gillie

Real Name
    Terry

Personally, I think the dirt is part of the charm of this photograph, Gillie!

After all, all of the most prolific professional pumpkin painters I have ever known get a little dirt on them from time to time!

I just thought that was just part of the professional pumpkin painting process.

And I think this is the most perfect professional pumpkin painting picture possible!

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

That's easy for you to say!!

Real Name
    Terry

Not without spitting all over the monitor!

Real Name
    Kevin

Gillie,

Great job on the table top cloning- that must have taken a few minutes. I noticed too that lightening her face empahsized her dirt a little, but decided I liked it for the charm and innocence. I cropped more on the left side to take out that triangular light flare. Can't decide if I prefer the table edge left in- I think I do. Thanks for sharing, it was fun. Suspect your model is quite photogenic and look forward to more from Grandpa.

Kevin

Real Name
    Gillie Bengough

Or even Grandma