Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Red Silk Cotton Tree

Real Name
    Bobo

Red Silk Cotton Tree

Normally at this time of year the blooms would be end-of-cycle but this year they bloomed late and it is a sea of red in some places here.

These were taken yesterday. The trees grow fairly high and except for fallen flowers there is little option but to shoot into the sky. It was quite a challenge as the sky was very very bright and after a bit of experimentation went AV +2EC for most of the sky shots.

I was using a friend's 5DMkII and it was the first time handling this camera so was somewhat uncomfortable with the controls and settings etc. I was surprised that this camera would only go max +/- 2EV, even my 550D does +/-5. Hmmm.

In post noticed that the reds were quite garish so pulled back the saturation a teeny bit. Also went for a softer/creamier look. Please tell me if this works or not.

Comments/suggestions always welcomed.

Thanks for looking.

Red Silk Cotton Tree

Red Silk Cotton Tree

Red Silk Cotton Tree

Red Silk Cotton Tree

Red Silk Cotton Tree

Red Silk Cotton Tree

Re: Red Silk Cotton Tree

A lovely looking flower Bobo, your slight de saturation has worked very well, showing great colour and texture, each image has its pluses, however #2, is the standout for me, compostition and detail is superb, I like the backgound colour of this rather than the blue, and you have three components a bud, emerging and full flower, and you can still see the stamen, # 6 on the glass with the reflection is also very appealing

Real Name
    Joe

Hi Bobo,

Reds are difficult, as you know they tend to blow out. You said you desaturated the color to control that, also try using a negative vibrance. Sometimes it works better than desaturating. I struggle to get the color correct when shooting my orchids. What I have found the works well to get the colors correct is shoot the first image while holding a 18% grey card in front of the flower, then shoot the series quickly before the light changes. In post processing the first thing I do set the white balance using the eye dropper reading off the grey card in the first photo. I use that white balance reading for the rest of the series. Reds, yellows and whites will give a person fits to get exactly correct. I like your series, very creative. My only negative comment would be that the reds look a little muddy.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Wendy.

Thanks "Flower Master" Joe.
    Really appreciate the vibrance and gray card tips. I will be going again on Monday to catch birds feeding on the nectar and will put these tips into use.

I don't quite understand the "muddy" comment - can you please elaborate? Thanks.

Real Name
    Joe

Maybe the best way I can explain is by posting an image for comparison. Below is a photograph of a red Amerilis in bloom.

Red Silk Cotton Tree

This was shot outside along side my house, but because the houses are very close together in the community I live in there is always shade. That helps alot to keep the red under control, when you go back see if you can find blossoms that are in the shade. Muddy means slightly brownish overtones, which diminish the vibrancy of the color.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Joe, got it!

Btw that is a beautiful example.

Real Name
    Bobo

#2a - complete redo based on Joe's comments. On this one vibrance was actually increased as the red channel had a lot of headroom to play with.

Red Silk Cotton Tree

Real Name
    Steve

numbers 4,5,6 are very interesting and my favourite is 6.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Steve. You have just made picking the best of the lot that much more difficult.

Real Name
    Bobette Lambert

The red in this shot is gorgeous.

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by BokehBo View Post
    The red in this shot is gorgeous.
    I am assuming that you mean Joe's pic in post #5? Yes, the red is gorgeous.