Thread: The forest scenery

Real Name
    think li

The forest scenery

The forest sceneryThe forest sceneryThe forest scenery

Real Name
    Paul

Re: The forest scenery

I'll comment on your images. I think I understand what you were trying to convey in the first image but the lighting is not dramatic enough to focus the viewer's eye on the bright clearing in the center of the image. As it is, it has no strong point of interest for the viewer. I see how you framed the composition with the trees on each side. The foreground shadow also helps in this regard but the out-of-focus branches at the top are distracting. I would consider cropping these out of the image. Darkening the foreground trees so that the eye is drawn into the sunlit area would help this image IMO.

Your second image is interesting. It's important to experiment to find a style that suits your personality and subjects. This is not my style so it doesn't have a strong feeling for me but others may like it very much. This is not a criticism.

Your third image is the best IMO. Light conditions like this usually requires several captures for an HDR image. I very much like the rich, saturated color of the grass and weeds. A second (or third) exposure to capture the detail in the dark shadows would have improved this image. Myself, I would leave the shadows fairly dark to capture the feeling of the scene. As it is, I would suggest you experiment with cropping out most of the foreground shadow and also cropping down to eliminate the bright leaves in the top center. What remains will be a panoramic silhouette of the trees against the lush green. I think this would make a stronger composition and the viewer's eye would be drawn into the sunlit scene. Your exposure looks right on and very natural. It's a very lovely scene; the slight diagonal of the hill adds interest. The varying light intensity causes one's eye to explore these areas just as one might walk through this scene.

Shooting in the woods is very challenging, especially on sunny days. Keep at it. This last image shows you have a good eye and technique.

Paul S

Real Name
    Ludwig Keck

1) OK.
    2) No.
    3) Good start.
    The first photo is pleasant but does not have a "main attraction". The eye is lead to the bright, but monotonous, green. The second photo leads the eye well enough as in "as seen by bird flying at high speed through forest". Nothing there grabs me.
    The third photo, although a bit dark, shows a pleasant forest scene. It makes the viewer feel like being there. Cool forest with bright light filtering through. I can almost smell it! Nice!

Real Name
    james

3 it is .