Thread: Nervous!!

Real Name
    Kim Abbott

Nervous!!

This Saturday, I will be taking pictures at a friend's wedding. I have never done any kind of wedding photography, and I must admit that I am extremely nervous! She is not a very demanding person, and understands that I can't guarantee what will result. But despite her easy going demeanor about it, I am on edge! I want to make certain I can provide her with some nice memories of her special day, and while I feel that I am fairly competent and can at least get SOME decent shots, I hold myself to a pretty high level on this and want to do my absolute best.

Any advice for me from anyone who has done weddings before?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Nervous!!

Quickest route to lots of advice is go into 'Discussion Categories' on the menu bar above and choose 'Weddings'.

Real Name
    Bill S

Kim,

Is your friend having a rehearsal on Friday? If so, I'd ask if you could attend so you could get a little on-site practice (at least in the church) so you can potentially take a look at what you got so you could make any necessary adjustments so you're better prepared for the big day.

- Bill

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

This is advice from someone who has never "professionally" attempted to shoot a wedding i.e. the classic posed picture format, but from having been responsible to shot the candid pictures before and after the wedding and all the ancillary events around it for four weddings in the last two years. Shoot tons of pictures of everyone (shoot probably four times what you think is a reasonable number of images and try your darndest to get at least a few pictures of every person there) but try to get the majority of the pictures of people laughing and having fun.

Cull out the candids which make people look stupid or awkward. Don't discard them, it is amazing how much fun they will be in twenty years. But initially only give out the most flattering pictures. I made probably ten copies of the CDs of the images and gave them to the bride and groom to pass out to friends and relatives.

Real Name
    Virginia

I just added a comment to another thread about becoming familiar with the absolute details of your camera and its accessories. Searching on "Seniors Sunday School class" should find it for you. v

Real Name
    Craig

I would totally agree with all the above and also make sure that you have spares of everything. Batteries, Cards and if at all possible a standby camera.
    im sure it will all go swimmingly but for your own peace of mind i would make sure im covered with extra bits too.

Good luck im sure it will be a total success!
    Craig