Thread: Early Morning Serenity

Early Morning Serenity

I took this photo 5 years ago with a Canon Powershot 710, Vera Beach Florida in the early hours of the morning and I was the only person on the beach in that area at that time and it was awesome, the sunrise the sound of the surf the smell of the ocean. I have been practicing my PP skills and would very much appreciate all C & C. I am using Lightroom 3 and Nik software. I have been at it some time now as the first several tries I did way too much to it and have back off a good deal. Do I need to back off some more or is it okay like it is.
    Early Morning Serenity

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Early Morning Serenity

Hi Carl. The best way to determine how far you've come in post processing and how close this is to the original would be to compare the two. Would you be willing to post the original for comparison?

As it stands, it looks a bit saturated compared to what I would expect to see but that might be just fine if that was part of the artistry you were shooting for with this image. Composition and the technical aspects look great. As this is a seascape, you may want to try a 16:9 or 2:1 ratio crop and in doing so try to get the horizon off the 50% point and closer to the 65% point by losing some of the sky. I would shoot for losing about half of the sky and just a bit of the beach to get the crop ratio if you decide to go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Carl. The best way to determine how far you've come in post processing and how close this is to the original would be to compare the two. Would you be willing to post the original for comparison?

As it stands, it looks a bit saturated compared to what I would expect to see but that might be just fine if that was part of the artistry you were shooting for with this image. Composition and the technical aspects look great. As this is a seascape, you may want to try a 16:9 or 2:1 ratio crop and in doing so try to get the horizon off the 50% point and closer to the 65% point by losing some of the sky. I would shoot for losing about half of the sky and just a bit of the beach to get the crop ratio if you decide to go that way.
    I do not mind posting the original at all. If it will help me to learn then that's what has to be done. I will try and do something with the crop tomorrow as it is bedtime here. Thanks for your comments. The original seemed kind of flat to me and I may still over did it compared to what should have been done.

Early Morning Serenity

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Carl - I don't know how your rate your knowledge and skill in the use of layers and masks in post-processing.

I'd suggest that the sea and the sky need to be treated differently and that that could be achieved by using layer masks.

To me, the sea looks really good in your finished. But, as Frank suggests, I think the sky is overdone. The sky in your original looks pretty good. But to work with the sea in your finished version, it would need to be darkened up a bit, with the tone of the cloud being held just as it is.

So, a layer mask that allowed you to then apply a curve that held the big cloud as it is, but pulled the tone of the rest of the sky down to darker, would maybe be worth having a look at. And then sit that on top of the sea as you have it in your finished version above.

One line of thought for you to consider!

[QUOTE=Donald;199556]Carl - I don't know how your rate your knowledge and skill in the use of layers and masks in post-processing.

Thank You Donald for your comments, how I rate myself on layers is "0". I have never used layers before, as matter of fact I am just starting out in PP with lightroom 3 and Nik software.

I am going to try to do as you have suggested in the Nik software as I think that I can but may take me a little while to do it. Will try and get something posted today. I may have been a little hasty in getting this done to start with but now I will begin to learn what to do and look for in PP.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    Thank You Donald for your comments, how I rate myself on layers is "0". I have never used layers before, as matter of fact I am just starting out in PP with lightroom 3 and Nik software.
    Well, you certainly have the right tools for the job. The thing to remember, is that you ain't going to learn it all in a few days. It's about taking it one step at a time and when you get to the stage, as you will, where the veins in your neck start popping and you wonder what you ever got involved with this stupid photography thing and your just going to throw the whole lot out, ..... just remind yourself that lots of us on here have been through the same learning journey.

It does start to make sense ... and then you wonder why you got so upset and angry a few days/a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Well, you certainly have the right tools for the job. The thing to remember, is that you ain't going to learn it all in a few days. It's about taking it one step at a time and when you get to the stage, as you will, where the veins in your neck start popping and you wonder what you ever got involved with this stupid photography thing and your just going to throw the whole lot out, ..... just remind yourself that lots of us on here have been through the same learning journey.

It does start to make sense ... and then you wonder why you got so upset and angry a few days/a few weeks ago.
    Thank you for your words of encouragement! I made one small adjustment in the sea and will see how that looks before doing anything else to it. The tutorials I have been watching have helped a great deal in the learning curve with the software that I have. But a hands on lesson is far more valuable.
    Early Morning Serenity

Okay in the picture above I went into viveza2 and put a little structure into the water and darkened the shadows just a tad, I think that was all. This picture along with the little structure and shadow darkening, I added just a touch of brightness to the white in the waves right in front of the reflection on the water and then reduced the brightness in the ocean just a little. I think I really like this one it seems to bring back to memory that moment a little better just as it was. I just wanted to add what I did so if someone can help with suggestions they can. Not trying to sell the product even thought it is a great product to me.

Early Morning Serenity

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    ........ as matter of fact I am just starting out in PP with lightroom 3 and Nik software.
    Well, you sure learn fast.

That is now standing up there as a very fine image, in my opinion. What you have done (as described by yourself - which I and I hope others, find very helpful) really lifts the image. That large cloud now looks good and the breaking wave is excellent.

A real pleasure to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Well, you sure learn fast.

That is now standing up there as a very fine image, in my opinion. What you have done (as described by yourself - which I and I hope others, find very helpful) really lifts the image. That large cloud now looks good and the breaking wave is excellent.

A real pleasure to look at.
    Thank You kind Sir,
    Donald it was you and Frank that made me take a second hard look. What I saw was I left the first one in the frying pan too long and put too much seasoning in it also. I had forgotten that fast all that I saw in the tutorials, and learned from reading other posts here, about just how so slight of a change can make a hugh difference. Thanks again for your help and your kind comments.