Thread: Monkey Frog...Is this better or am I doomed?

Real Name
    Ginny King

Monkey Frog...Is this better or am I doomed?

Revised shot adjusting the temp per member suggestion. Still not sure I am getting all that I can out of this picture. I hate to throw in the towel because this guy is just too ugly/cute.

Original version:

Real Name
    Terry

Re: Monkey Frog...Is this better or am I doomed?

I'm sorry to have to tell you Ginny that I'm afraid you are terminally doomed to taking great shots of cool looking creatures. At least you heard it from a friend instead of some Bozo stranger!

Customarily, a traditional composition of a profile shot will leave some room to the side the victim is looking toward to give them room to look into. I am neither traditionally customary, nor am I customarily traditional. But something to consider.

Maybe bring your vignette in a bit and make it a bit lighter and a more gradual falloff so as not to bring attention to the corners of the frame.

I would suggest working on the eyes to bring them out if anyone asked me.

Thankfully, no one did!

Great shot, Ginny!
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 28th March 2012 at 10:00 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Flurry View Post
    Still not sure I am getting all that I can out of this picture.
    What is it you think you're not getting out of it? Imagine it was someone else's image and they were asking for comment and criticism - What would you say to them?

Real Name
    Paul

Ginny, I do like this image. Cool looking frog. It looks to be a difficult one to get the color just right. I would also rather a little more room infront of him as I see was mentioned above as well as working on the eyes. I seem to be thinking along the same lines as Terry. I had a quick play to see what was what and came up with the edit you see below. I adjusted the clipping points in levels and rightened the eye slightly. I then gave a localized sharpening and cropped it. Being I was not there I am unsure how close the color is, you'll have to tell me.

Real Name
    Bobo

Handsome looking one that you caught. Would have been very happy to have got one myself.

Paul has done a good job with his edit and has brought out the skin textures quite a bit.

I have also given it a go with a bit of colour correction, bit of contrast adjustment and selective sharpening.

33xzjau-1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bobobird; 29th March 2012 at 02:21 AM.

I think, Ginny, that we really need to know what is the true colour of this creature. With this sort of scene, without any clear reference point like a patch of pure white for example, we are really just guessing.

I would suggest that your original is a little too yellow and the edit has gone too far to the blue side; but I don't really know without some guidance.

Real Name
    Ginny King

Paul got it just about perfect. The little guy is VERY bright green with cream colored stripes. He was actually staring into another frogs rear-end, which is why I cropped where I did. Great point from Terry about leaving more room in front of profile shots. I had no idea! The background was causing me the most trouble since I am such a beginner. Trying to get that right ruined the frog, trying to get the frog right, ruined the background. I am going to practice my edit again to see if I can match what Paul did. (I read the tutorial about sharpening as well).

Thanks to you all for your help.

Real Name
    Ginny King

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    What is it you think you're not getting out of it?
    I just could not get him to look like the way my eyes saw him. Paul did!

Real Name
    Paul

Ginny, glad I was close. When you are giving it a go....when working in levels, remember to adjust each color channel and not just value. I adjusted each green, red and blue individually. Being there is no straight white or absolute black it will be a trial and error by eye thing as you can't use the white or black dropper.

Real Name
    Ginny King

I will Paul. I can't thank you guys enough for your guidance. This site is just awesome!