Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Not great....but LUCKY!

Real Name
    Paul

Not great....but LUCKY!

I spotted this critter {flying squirrel} today while he flew from one tree to the next. Grabbed the camera and gave chase. I was lucky to see him in the first place as flying squirrels are not often seen. Once he landed I was luck to spot him as they hide well. Then I was able to find a 6 inch path through a tangle of branches and needles....again lucky! lol These guys live their whole lives in the tops of trees and usually fly at night being nocturnal....{Hence the big eyes}. So technically rubbish and not so beatiful I am quite happy to have them at all. Thought some of you might enjoy seeing a critter rarely seen. Maybe next time I can catch one in flight! lol Not likely.

Not great....but LUCKY!

Not great....but LUCKY!
    Last edited by jeeperman; 28th March 2012 at 04:59 AM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Not great....but LUCKY!

Congrats.

In the kind of walk and find type of nature photography that we do luck is first and great is always 2nd. If we can get both that is great but like you I would be very happy to have just got a reasonably good shot.

But once we know roughly where the animal/bird is we can always go back and try to get the great shot. That is what I try to do but I do not have the patience to just wait and wait and will soon move off after a while.

Real Name
    Bill S

My mother-in-law has a pair of flying squirrels that visit her bird feeders regularly. Unfortunately, I've never managed a photo of them.

- Bill

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Bobo and Bill. I have some of these guys that live in the trees in my yard and have seen them once in eight years. lol I would love to catch them visiting the feeder. What a great op to catch them in flight. I have never heard of them do that Bill. Most people here have no idea they exist in Washington. Normally a very secretive animal.

Real Name
    Hazel

I think these are amazing shots, especially the first one. We had these little guys on our acreage and saw one once! At that time I didn't have a camera and wouldn't have had it with me at the time anyway knowing my luck!

Real Name
    Ginny King

I have a pair that visit my bird feeders every night. I have no idea how to capture them with the camera. Thanks for sharing the great pictures so I can really see what they look like!

Real Name
    JimC

Paul
    I didn't know those things lived aroud here. Nice capture. I know if anyone can you will catch him flying
    Talk to you soon. JimC