Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: looking for professional opinion on printing room lighting/color setup

Real Name
    Darren

looking for professional opinion on printing room lighting/color setup

I have been asked to look into "color correcting" the lighting and paint in a room where we do short run digital prints. The current lighting is some sort of fluorescent color scheme and I think it is on the cool side. The paint on the walls is multi-toned/colored. The ceiling is flat black.

To quote our plant manager...

I’m working on a proposal to make the downstairs printer area or the whole room color correct with lights and paint and a booth maybe in the alcove. What I’m looking for is professional opinions about whether or not we need to paint the ceiling as well.
    The printer is an HP FB700. We're not G7 certified or compliant, but we do create our own color profiles. I can provide a photo of the room if necessary.

I know this may be a tough one. In fact, I'm not even sure it's realistic. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Darren

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: looking for professional opinion on printing room lighting/color setup

It could be quite a big project -- in theory you'd need to replace the flourescent lighting with D50 lighting - block out the ambient light - paint the walls a spectrally neutral colour - remove any large non-spectrally neutral objects in the room etc.

Probably easier just to get a viewing booth (you can buy them) (D50 lighting isn't the nicest light to work under all day anyway) (personally I prefer D65).

Hope this helps!

Real Name
    Darren

Re: looking for professional opinion on printing room lighting/color setup

Colin, thank you... I am going to pass this along.