Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Really BAD news

Real Name
    Bob R

Really BAD news turning better now

Was on my way home from a great picture outing and stopped for breakfast. When I came out, my car had it's trunk pried open and I lost everything. Two cameras (Canons), all my lenses (100-400, 18-35, 50, 1x converter, extension tube, various cables, chargers, cards, book, shades, bag), filters, and tripod (both). I always new it could happen, just did not expect it. This was at 8 this morning. Called the police - filed a report. Tomorrow I'll call the insurance company and see what is next. The feeling of looking up and seeing the trunk open I'll never forget. It left me so empty, I knew what had happed in a heartbeat. I can't really explain it any further. I'm devastated. Of course, someone had to know, but I have no ideas, police even asked that. I have never had to deal with homeowners except for paying the bill, hope I get good results from that. Bad news, no additional insurance on lenses. Good news (if their can be good news right now) I still have a couple of older point and shoots, jpg only though. OK, just had to vent a little.Bob
    Last edited by SpiderBob; 5th April 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Really BAD news

Bob - I am so sorry to hear that.

There is nothing sensible anyone can say to you that in any way helps the devastation that you must be feeling. I am sure everyone here on CiC will share a feeling of shock, anger and sorrow at what's happened.

Do let us know how you get on with the insurance.

Real Name
    Greg

Bob, real sorry to hear about this.
    Hope the insurance covers you adequately and you can tell us about your new cameras soon.
    Cheers Greg

Real Name
    glenn

bob i am really sorry to hear your awful news,it makes my heart sink just picturing your face upon realising what you found.
    as donald said there is no comfort anyone can offer you other than hoping everything works out with your insurers,but even then it cant make up for the fact that some lowlife thought it would be easier to steal your collection as apposed to earning the money to buy their own.
    once again so sorry bob.
    regards glenn

Real Name
    Dave

That is bad news, Bob.

As other have said, hope the insurance helps. Do you have a record of the serial numbers?

Dave

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Sorry to hear also Bob - makes my blood boil.

Wouldn't it be great if it were impossible to remove serial numbers from EXIF data, and every website checked a database of stolen gear -- so the first time an image from the stolen gear is posted online it throws up an alert.

How many $$$ do you think you'll be out of pocket?

Car alarm wired to the boot might be a thought for future (that's what I've done). I had my Rolex stolen last year - have to say that the insurance company couldn't have been better, and had the new-model replacement on my wrist within 60 hours.

Real Name
    António Correia

I am sorry to read this.
    Do you have the numbers of your equipment ? Perhaps the thieves are going to sell the equipment and the person who is buying is aware of the numbers... Oh what amI saying ? Non sense perhaps.

And how about a notification to Canon letting them know that the camera number X and the lens number Y has been stolen from you. They could then - at least - take it for you or be of some help. Who knows ?

And how about a post in Facebook ? Or this ? Many clues...

Or better yet stolen photographic equipment

Have you made a search with the numbers of your equipment ?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

That is just sickening to hear, Bob.

I guess we'll all need to be checking out what the camera-specific insurance will cost. <sigh!> I try to never let folks see me getting camera gear or anything else of value, in or out of my trunk but even that is not always possible. I also try to remember to stow my GPS a block or two before I park for the same reason. I hope the insurance will cover the loss for you!

Real Name
    Mike

Wow Bob… Im shocked because it could just have easily happened to me or anyone else here. Like Frank said, its making me think about contacting my insurance agent to make sure im covered and perhaps take pics of my equipment for proof, especially as Im getting ready to get another L lens and an upgraded body.

Ive wondered what I should do that would prevent a situation like this… Ive heard pros who have these lock boxes that are bolted to the car somehow… Havent found anything like that. Anyone here have ideas as to hopefully reduce the chance it may happen again not just to Bob, but the rest of us?

Real Name
    Paul

Bob, sorry to hear this. I have been there and at the time...with no ins. I wish you a quick turn around with getting all things in order. I just have no use for theives....other than target practice that is. I simply and sometimes painstakingly take my gear everywhere I go. I don't leave it in the car at all. I have a soft top Jeep.

Real Name
    Mike

Would this work? Considering bolt or cable cutters are not something most people walk around with this on their belt…

Paksafe Camera bag protector

Ive heard it recommended when locking your extra gear in hotel rooms… but it would also work inside a car?

Could get the larger version for backpacks so the tripod would also be secure as well

Real Name
    Darren

Ouch... what a downer. You have my sympathy. You mention you were on your way home from a great picture outing. I'm curious, do you think you were followed? Do you think this person may have watched you put your gear into the trunk? I find it odd that a thief would pop a trunk before smashing windows. It seems to me that this person knew exactly what they were after. Well... hope you can somehow get your gear returned. You just never know.

Real Name
    Bob R

Thank you all for your sympathy. Darren, that is exactly what the police think. They also said it was probably good that I stopped for breakfast as he/they might have followed me all the way home and struck there. Makes you think, but what can you do? I talked to my agent, yep, he actually called me on Sunday even. Said I took out an additional policy on my equipment some years ago (I don't remember doing that) so all I need is recites for everything. I believe I can supply that for everything except my 100-400 as I bought that off a gentleman on this site . But I did register it with Canon as is all my stuff. In fact my son called to tell me that my driver license number is on the bottom of my camera body, he was afraid to put it on the lens for the vibration the scrip does. OH, and the agent did say they have to wait 21 days?? whatever that is for. Forgot to ask him that. So, I feel better and I don't at the same time.
    Thanks again all,
    Bob

Real Name
    Steaphany

Sorry for your loss and I wish you all the best with replacing or recovery of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Anyone here have ideas as to hopefully reduce the chance it may happen again not just to Bob, but the rest of us?
    I know many here would not want to take this route, but I have my gear stored in a pair of bright yellow Pelican cases. Presently, my accessories are contained in a Pelican Case 1500, empty weight of 7.1 lbs, 3.2 kg and measuring 18.5" x 14" x 7", 47 cm x 35.7 cm x 17.6 cm. My optics, camera bodies and lenses, are in a Pelican Case 1600. This is a hulking bill board of a case with an empty weight of 14 lbs, 7 kg and measuring 24" x 19.5" x 8.7", 61 cm x 49 cm x 22 cm:

Really BAD news

I chose to go with Pelican hard cases both for the protection they provide and how they stand out. Pelican's case guarantee is simple: “You Break It, We Replace It…Forever™” with just a few exceptions being shark bite, bear attack, and children under five. ( I have no worries there, I just have 1000+ lb Horses ) Besides, what is the likelihood for anyone to be out and about where I would happen to be, usually in rural or semi-rural Texas, with my camera kit who are also schlepping about with a Pelican 1500 and 1600 in bright yellow ?

BTW, the cases have provisions for pad locks and just weld a length of chain to the frame of your car's trunk or boot and secure the cases if you need to leave the equipment in the car. ( They'll have to steal the car to get your cameras )

Oh, with some equipment additions that I've made, I'm needing another case and haven't decided on whether it would be a 1500 or 1600. ( Yes, I'm willing to burden myself to make it difficult for thieves )

Real Name
    Bob R

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Would this work? Considering bolt or cable cutters are not something most people walk around with this on their belt…

Paksafe Camera bag protector

Ive heard it recommended when locking your extra gear in hotel rooms… but it would also work inside a car?

Could get the larger version for backpacks so the tripod would also be secure as well
    I'm not sure about this, if the thief can't get the lens and/or camera out, who is to say he/they won't beat the living day lights out of it, then it is not covered by insurance as that would be repair bill. Darned if you do and darned if you don't kind of thing. I think I just limit what I take and have it with me all the time. I usually do carry it into wherever I go, but I had too much this time and decided to just leave it.

Real Name
    Bob R

Steaphany, I have to think about that one, not a bad idea for storage in the truck.

Real Name
    Philip

Bob, what has happened to you is dreadful. But there might be some consolation in that your car was attacked for your photography kit - the thief (or thieves) did not attack you while you were out in the field, miles away from anywhere, with all your kit in a rucksack.

Philip

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I just want to add my sympathy for this horrendous event. Hopefully you can get up and running in rapid order.

There is always the stage of grieving where you blame yourself, thinking I could have done something to avoid this. The truth is that low life scum will find a way around pretty much any obstacle. Locking your gear in the trunk seems a pretty secure option to me. Unfortunate that they have not only stolen your camera gear but your sense of security as well.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Just yesterday I was out and worried about leaving my camera and gear in the trunk. Never again, I will just have to carry it everywhere I go. I Hope things look much brighter for you real soon.

Real Name
    Pierre

Terrible, sorry to hear this news, especially when your day was working out so well.

I do not let my gear out of my site while I am traveling, including stopping for coffee or whatever. It is insured, but I would rather not go through recovery.
    Bob - Good luck with your insurance I hope all of that works out for you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast